Cleaning tips

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Vikingmike
Series 3 and Beyond

Cleaning tips

Post by Vikingmike »

Hi All,

I'm after a quick bit of advice. I've recently bought some Milliput and some Humbrol Matt Gloss and as I've a few days off work I thought I would have a practice using them both.

I've done ok with them but I've had a nightmare cleaning up, and of course the wife isn't happy!! Any tips on removing the gloss from the brush and also separately the Miiliput from my hands would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Mike
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: Cleaning tips

Post by Ian »

Paint thinners or white spirit for the Matt Cote
Milliput needs washing off with soap and water before it dries. Otherwise carefully scrape off with your knife. Very carefully!
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
Vikingmike
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Vikingmike »

Thanks Ian, much appreciated.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Yes, as Ian says white spirit for the Humbrol Matt Gloss, and soap & water for Milliput. But if the Milliput starts to dry I'd recommend using a Brillo pad (or equivalent scouring pad) first before resorting to a knife. Better to risk scouring a little finger flesh than cutting a finger off completely!
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
Vikingmike
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Vikingmike »

Thanks Bluesteel,

We have white spirit and scourers aplenty in our house! Think the wife is getting annoyed that household items are quickly becoming modelling tools.

Mike
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Vikingmike wrote:Thanks Bluesteel,

We have white spirit and scourers aplenty in our house! Think the wife is getting annoyed that household items are quickly becoming modelling tools.

Mike
Oh yes, most household items can find their way into the world of modelling. Did you know that the hard dining room place-mats and coasters make excellent bases for models too? :)
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Finishing Tips”