advise

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

advise

Post by nashorn »

Hi all, i have never used an airbrush, but i am considering getting one on ebay, the one i have been looking at is AS 186 Complete Airbrush Kit + Compressor With Tank.
i would like to know what any one thinks about this set up, the price is around £70.00.
as i say i have no idea about airbrushing.

regards rich.
Rich.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: advise

Post by Ian »

I'm in the same boat as you, Rich. Thinking about it but don't really know what I'm looking at.
What we both need is someone who lives close by who can let us have a 'play' to see what's what. Do you have a local model club near you? That's the route I'm going to try.
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
nashorn

Post by nashorn »

Thats a good idea Ian, i'll do some research into it, to see if i can have a go with some ones.
Rich.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Eric Mc »

The airbrush you mention is probably one of the Chinese copies. They work OK and will provide a basic service. However, they are not as well engineered as a more expensive brush and they may need frequent stripping down and deep cleaning to keep working.

In the end, you get what you pay for.
nashorn

Post by nashorn »

Thanks for the advice Eric.
Rich.
DAL-T
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by DAL-T »

In the end, you get what you pay for.
Unless you buy a Testor's Aztek, in which case for an awful lot of money you get a baffling array of different colour nozzles and a trendy-looking body with tinny innards, that turns into an expensive piece of junk if you happen to drop it on the trigger (guess how I know this ...). Stick to all-metal models, except for the Badger 350, which has a plastic body tougher than tank armour. Mine is older than the pyramids, but it's still my first choice for wide-area spraying. FWIW, if I were starting airbrush use now, I'd try the pistol-grip models rather than those with a top trigger. Much easier and more natural to hold - unless you have to unlearn the habits of (nearly) a lifetime.
Just Another Plastic Hacker

In Progress:MIG 15, F-86, F-84G
In Waiting: Jackal, Coyote

J'y suis; J'y reste
Patrice de Mac-Mahon, Duc de Magenta, before Sevastopol 1855
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Since 1980 I have been using the same Badger 200. It does it all. Finally sent it in for a tune up which Badger did for free.

One thing for sure. Get the best you can afford

You simply get what you pay for.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

This set is discussed here:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/airbrushe ... -good.html;

The compressor certainly looks okay for the money, I'd treat the airbrushes as learning tools which will need to be replaced with something better at some point.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North

Return to “Finishing Tips”