Weathering decals

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
omi
Getting well comfy!

Weathering decals

Post by omi »

Ok how do you weather decals on our models it's just a question?
I don't have a particular Subject in mind but let's say a plane "hellcat" maybe in the pacific now I've seen pics of the real thing and they took some punishment so when you have done the salt chipping and the such how do you blend in the reg markings so they don't look new and the rest of the subject looks like it had a good night on the town.
Just a thought.
Ian
Blitzbau hero

Re: Weathering decals

Post by Ian »

I always apply my decals before I weather. But I only use light drybrushing and washes.
No idea how about salt chipping. Maybe a few, carefully applied, spots of silver. Or silver pencil?
I'm a mostly full-time modeller put a part-time poster....
omi
Getting well comfy!

Post by omi »

Thanks for the reply Ian, I usually do the same with the weathering being the last stage but what I was thinking about was more panel lines on planes, when you have decaled and the panel lines are under the decal how do you get the weathering in the line, the decal tends to resist the wash and looks to new and not blend in with the rest of the kit. I have tried to carefully cut through the decal but it ends in tears usually mine. So any ideas ?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

FWIW.
A good setting solution, and of course good decals, and the decals should fit themselves into the panel lines. Then spray on Klear/Future (or any gloss finish) to enable the wash to run smoothly - that also tends to even out the difference between paint and decals. After all that, your wash should go over them, not under and only need a minor touch-up for consistency.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.

Return to “Finishing Tips”