The right solvent/thinner for Flames of War spray can paint?

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
agentZigZag
starter kit

The right solvent/thinner for Flames of War spray can paint?

Post by agentZigZag »

Hi All,
Wonder if you can help me. I was spraying FoW Panzer Yellow from a rattle can onto a model and, <surprise!> it wasn't a match for what should be Vallejo Middlestone, but a much more yellow, almost golden colour. A batch problem perhaps, I've since purchased a can that does match the Middlestone. I actually liked the colour and held onto the can, using it a few times as a basecoat. This is before FoW re-marketed the can as Panther Yellow.

The colour doesn't look too dissimilar from the yellow Jagdpanther in Kagero's Photosniper #8 Jagdpanther book (colour plates on pp. 94-102 if you have it). So that gave me the idea of building an Jagdpanther like the one in the book, with the tools on the back, etc. But I am now at the stage where I want to correct the overpainting but have no idea about the matching colour and the can has now spurted and splurged blobs of paint, it must be almost empty now.

As a last ditch attempt to get the right colour shade from the remaining paint in the can (if there are any), I plan to do the necessary corrections to my overpainting with a brush, by spraying the contents into a plastic tray, where the viscous blob will dry in seconds. What thinner/solvent do I need to keep said yellow splodge in solution to allow me to finish my re-painting? I assume white spirit won't as it the spray paint in the can is probably acrylic rather than enamel, but I have no idea what the chemical composition actually is. Would Tamiya thinner work perhaps?

Any ideas? Plan B would be to mix Humbrol 94 and 83 (or the Vallejo equivalents) until they look about right, but it seems worth trying before I discard the can?

Thanks,

Agent ZigZag

Return to “Finishing Tips”