Airbrush blow back

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Spearjig
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Airbrush blow back

Post by Spearjig »

I recently used Vajaro spray paint in my airbrush. It was too thick to spray straight away (dispite what it says on the bottle so I thinned it down with water. Anyway to cut a long stor short, I cleaned it down after use with water and then shot some thinners through. Was working great when I put it away. However tried using it tonight and I'm getting blow back into the paint pot and no paint through the nozzle. Stripped it down and reset it and the same thing is happening any suggestions anybody?
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Airbrush blow back

Post by jssel »

Not sure the type of airbrush but it sure sounds like a clogged tip from something. I use a Badger single action it is amazing the crud that gets in there.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

What type of thinner did you use? An alcohol based one makes Vallejo acrylics turn into cream cheese, and that'll clog anything up.
I only use Vallejo and I clean with distilled water and washing up liquid in an ultrasonic bath.
A couple of times this hasn't worked, and I've had to clean the nozzle with a length of very fine wire, to poke out some gunk.

Cleaning in hot soapy water might also clear a blocked nozzle.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I've had similar issues with Vallejo, mostly when I try to airbrush Model Color paints and I haven't gotten them thinned enough (which is a crap-shoot because they aren't meant to spray).

I blow a cup of Vallejo Airbrush Thinner through. The other trick is to force blowback by putting your finger over the nozzle. Use a higher pressure.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
gomergizmo
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gomergizmo »

Clogs can be a problem. Use acetone and soak the parts for a while. Rinse then clean with lacquer thinner. Finally wash with soap and water. There are times when you think the airbrush is clean but it can be clogged. There is a guy who has a pretty good site about airbrushing. I think it is called Don Wheelers airbrushing tips.

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/;
Professor Polarbear
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I find I get blow back if the nozzle tip is not screwed in fully.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Finishing Tips”