Lightening a colour by x%?

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Lightening a colour by x%?

Post by Tarkas »

Been looking at various websites trying to find matches for certain colours, and I keep seeing instructions like "use Bloggs Paints' shade ABC-123, lightened 10% with white." How? More exactly, how do you lighten a paint 10%? Mix it with white in a 9:1 ratio? 10:1? What about larger percentages? One site suggested lightening a colour by 40% but, naturally :roll:, didn't say how.

Any suggestions?
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
aeroplanegripper
Active Participant

Re: Lightening a colour by x%?

Post by aeroplanegripper »

Tarkas wrote: Mix it with white in a 9:1 ratio? Any suggestions?
Hi mate, with my limited experience on lightening paints, I use a pipette and do a 9:1 ratio, 9 parts base colour and one part white or sometimes light grey.

Hope this helps.
Best Regards

Mark

"bis vivit qui bene vivit"
IPMS UK No 9960

On the go (ish), and under the bench or about to be:

Academy P-51C Mustang -1/72nd
Academy Grumman Hellcat II - 1/72nd
Hasegawa Brewster Buffalo I - 1/72nd
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Thanks, Mark. That's exactly the sort of answer I was looking for. Me to the LMS for paint and some pipettes.

Phil
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Nax
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Nax »

Dont know if this will help you but when I have to lighten a paint colour I use the same colour but in a lighter finish. ie, if I want to make a grey paint a little lighter, I had Light grey paint, a few drips at a time. If I want to lighten a Dk Brown colour, I'll use a few drops of Tan, like wise Dk Blue, I add a few drops of sky. I only use white if I want to make a light colour a shade different. ;-)
Hope it helps.
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Nax wrote:Dont know if this will help you but when I have to lighten a paint colour I use the same colour but in a lighter finish. ie, if I want to make a grey paint a little lighter, I had Light grey paint, a few drips at a time. If I want to lighten a Dk Brown colour, I'll use a few drops of Tan, like wise Dk Blue, I add a few drops of sky. I only use white if I want to make a light colour a shade different. ;-)
Hope it helps.
I agree with you Steve, adding white usually doesn't look right to me.

I use Vallejo paint, which comes in dropper bottles, so I can mix the paint dropwise, so I don't need pipettes.

If you think the colour needs to be 40% lighter, then personally I think getting a different pot of paint is the way to go. :)

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North

Return to “Finishing Tips”