cleaning before priming

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

cleaning before priming

Post by rob_van_riel »

I find myself dealing with a kit that doesn't like primer very much. Initial work has shown that even Tamiya tape, left in palce for no more than a few hours, will rip out large chunks of paint, leaving the plastic bare again. Apparently my trusty primer won't stick properly. Normally, I just swipe the kit clean with water after it's been built up, but that didn't cut it in this case. After spotting the problem, I treated this one to a good bath with soap and water, but the paint job will be one with next to no screw-up margings or possibility for corrections. Should soap and water do the job, or is there anything else you could recomment for cleaning?
TobyC

Re: cleaning before priming

Post by TobyC »

I use washing up liquid and warm water. Rinse it thoroughly with cold water and leave to dry between some kitchen towel. No problems although I now put on 4/5 coats of primer and sand down between coats as initially I had trouble with paint lifting when I came back to the hobby at the start of the year.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
fredk

Post by fredk »

For difficult ones like this I wipe over with methylated spirits. On really awkward ones a quick swipe with a cloth dampened with cellulose thinners usually works.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
gomergizmo
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gomergizmo »

I wash my parts with warm water and baking soda in a plastic dish then pour some vinegar into that solution. It foams up. Then rinse with cold water.
Professor Polarbear
vacant

Post by vacant »

I wash my parts with warm water and baking soda in a plastic dish then pour some vinegar into that solution. It foams up. Then rinse with cold water.

Wow - I bet that brings the colour to your cheeks!
gomergizmo
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gomergizmo »

Wow - I bet that brings the colour to your cheeks!
Not at all. All I smell is the vinegar.
Professor Polarbear
Nax

Post by Nax »

I give a good wipe down with a soft cloth soaking wet with White Spirits and leave to dry. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I've given it several helpings of warm water and soap. We'll see how it turns out soon; the first few layers of paint and masking tape are on, and all that is left now is to finish the job and hope I'll be able to remove only the tape..

Return to “Finishing Tips”