Airfix starter set acrylics...??

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Airfix starter set acrylics...??

Post by carlos »

After acquiring a bunch of starter sets very cheaply recently, I now have quite a collection of those little plastic pots of Humbrol acrylics.

Since trying (unsuccessfully) to get a decent finish by brush-painting the stuff, un-thinned, several years ago, I've never used them. I used to chuck them in the bin, but have recently been filing them away in the back of a drawer - so....

A couple of quick questions for anyone who knows anything about them:
Are they the same stuff as you get in a proper pot of Humbrol acrylic?
What are they like for spraying? And what's the best thinner and ratio for airbrushes?

I know I could experiment, but I'm a lazy so-and-so, and it would be handy to know in advance if they're worth the bother, and an approximate start-point.

Thanks
Carlos
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix starter set acrylics...??

Post by Ratch »

I never used them for years because of the Rifle Target tag :evil: but I kept them stashed away and started using them last year. Generally speaking they're fine. Every so often I used to find one that didn't want to cover, so I'd throw that pot away - they cost me nothing so its no loss 8-) I have since acquired some of the new pots and these work well too, in fact I've been using them on the Prairie Tank I'm currently building with no problems at all :-D
Try them out, you've nothing to lose :ha:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Finishing Tips”