Humbrol Matt Cote issues

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Humbrol Matt Cote issues

Post by bluesteel »

Have I just got a duff bottle of Matt Cote or is something else up?

I bought a new bottle a couple of weeks ago as my trusty old bottle had finally run out. But each coat I have applied so far from the new one (by brush) has dried high gloss, in fact glossier than Humbrol Gloss Cote!

I never had any problems with my old bottle, just had to give it a good stir if it hadn't been used for a while but it matted down very nicely. The new bottle is terrible at the moment. I've even tried thinning down with Humbrol enamel thinners and then white spirit, but with the same gloss result. Any other ideas? Or has someone at the Humbrol factory put Gloss Cote in a Matt Cote bottle?
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Humbrol Matt Cote issues

Post by JamesPerrin »

Regardless of the cause the product it not performing as advertised take it back to the shop and get another bottle or something else.

I'm still using a bottle from +10yrs ago so have no experience of the recent product. Brushes fine but needs cellulose thinners if sprayed - this is what Humbrol recommend.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Finishing Tips”