Mixing Paint

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Mixing Paint

Post by Dazzled »

Whether you exclusively brush paint, airbrush paint or combine both, one thing that's important is to mix your paint thoroughly. Everybody has their favourite mixers; coffee stirrers, cocktail sticks, sprue offcuts, the wife's toothbrush etc. These are all good stirring devices but they all have a common drawback...they take up time and energy. Typically, a modeller can take several minutes to ensure they have mixed their paint thoroughly and even then the odd lump can creep in. This can be particularly irritating when it blocks your airbrush or deposits itself as a big thick blob off the end of your hairy stick.

But, fear not, there is an easily available solution.

This little device is a Badger paint mixer. It works on the same principle as those little personal fans you see in the Summer with 2 AA batteries in the body and a simple slide on/off switch, but with a stirrer attachment in place of the fan blades. It's available over the internet although, when I bought mine, it had to come from the USA. However, even with postage across the pond it was still only a tenner.

I know that many will look at this and immediately think "unnecessary gimmick" but, having used mine for well over a year, I can honestly say that it's one of the best value for money modelling tools I've ever bought and it's always kept within easy reach whenever I'm at the bench. It mixes paints efficiently and effectively in seconds, has a clever rounded mixer end so you don't catch the container and it's simplicity itself to clean. Importantly, it saves a heck of a lot of time and effort mixing paints.

I'd recommend buying one of these to any modeller.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
nashorn
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Mixing Paint

Post by nashorn »

Your spot on there. but a cheaper model can be bought from ikea for £1.oo, they are called coffee frothers and come with a spring fitted, just remove the spring and away you go, ive used one for about two years with great results.

rich.
Rich.

Return to “Finishing Tips”