Getting back to modelling, tips needed

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Claymore
starter kit

Getting back to modelling, tips needed

Post by Claymore »

Hi all

It's been about 12 years since my last confession I last built a model kit, and even then, it was only a few kits after 10 years of inactivity. So it's been a long time since I've built model kits. I suspect my collection of Humbrol tins is not usable any more. Back then, I was a pure brush-painter, with a bent toward highly detailed aircraft interiors.

Anyway, times have changed, there are plenty of resources out there, and I'm looking for suggestions on what I need to get back up and running again, now that I have a new house and space to do things.

I have:
  • A table in my garage workshop.
  • Dozens of unbuilt model aircraft (a B-52, a B-58, a couple of Mig-27s, an F4U Corsair, a Blackhawk, and a bunch of other things).
  • An Aztec double action airbrush
  • A massive compressor & tank (used by my father-in-law for airtools)
  • A small selection of brushes, spare parts, odd tools, pipe cleaners, eyedroppers, etc.
What do you think I'd need, tools-wise, to get going again. Obviously scalpels etc. Paint, I guess - acrylics? I imagine I could do with some sort of magnifying glass. I'd like to start airbrushing; it's something I always wanted to get into. I'm happy to build up what I need bit by bit, so I guess I need the "must haves" and I'll work up to the "nice to haves".
Claymore
starter kit

Re: Getting back to modelling, tips needed

Post by Claymore »

Hmm. I actually think I posted this in the wrong forum. Should be in Construction Tips, I think.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

If you are after a magnifier, one good investment would be a magnifying lamp, one of the type that clamps onto your work bench. I have had one of those for some time now and it's been worth its weight in gold. Also buy a couple of extra spare circular florescent bulbs at the same time as replacements. They last a long time (2-3 years) but always seem to fail right at that crucial stage in the build...
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

Hi Claymore,

Although the might be in the wrong section hopefully these links will guide you to the answers you're looking for!

Priming - http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=7314
General FAQs - http://uamf.org.uk/faq/index.html
Airbrushing Q&A - http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=263

In terms of tools, it really depends on how you work. When i got back in to this i started with really basic stuff and just got more things as i found i needed them.

Basics:
Modelling Knife
Liquid Glue
Normal glue (the normal modelling stuff in squeezie tubes)
Super Glue
Decal Fix
Wet and Dry paper
Tweezers
Paints
Varnish
Brushes (small, medium, large)
Masking tape
Filler

That will cover most things to get you started... have fun!

P.s. I recommend starting your own workbench window, it's a really friendly part of the site and great place to ask questions
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

I would adjust the above list;
2 modelling knives: a snap-off for regular work, a scalpel for delicate work
PVA [white woodworkers glue] - great for putting on clear parts, can act as a filler of small gaps.
Womens' card nail 'buffers' - usually cheap in a supermarket [here 50p for 8] - good for smoothing joints or fillers.
spring clothes pegs or electrical crocodile clips - good for holding small parts for painting, or clamping parts together whilst glue sets
elastic bands - for clamping parts together whilst glue sets.
Sewing pins - just a few, heated up they can make holes in plastic.
cocktail sticks [aka wrongly 'tooth picks'] - various uses, stirring paints,... anything with a hole in it can be pushed on for painting then this pushed into .....
block of plasticene or other non hardening clay - for pushing cocktail sticks into, for weighing things down [don't use as nose weight though] or pushed against odd shaped parts to hold them whilst glue sets.

small plastic tool box for everything to be thrown into for storage.

Non of the above should cost too much. Can I presume you have some sort of 'discount' stores near you? If you shop around my list above should cost only a small amount - for me its about £6

Just some things I use and find useful.

I also have a teatowel holder attached to my desk, it holds the rag on which I wipe my brushes during and after painting, very handy for keeping the rag handy but out of the way.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Post by fearless frankie »

Just get building,and research then the experience will dictate what you need. I have spent a small fortune on stuff that is specifically designed for modelling only to find there are equally good items out there in the everyday market. IMHO the humble cocktail stick wins hands down
Claymore
starter kit

Post by Claymore »

Thanks everyone! This will be fun. :)

Return to “Finishing Tips”