Airbrush buyers guide - help!

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Desert_fox
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Airbrush buyers guide - help!

Post by Desert_fox »

I am currently in the market for an airbrush but am in a quandry - I would like one that I know is going to serve me well and last, but am limited to a budget of £100 all in. I was looking online and found some brushes, hoses and compressors that together would cost under this, but I have no way of telling if they are any good or not (seeing as how they are online! :ha: ) Would anyone here be able to point me in the right direction? Any help is appreciated! :grin:
Will write history dissertations for modelling supplies...
peebeep

Re: Airbrush buyers guide - help!

Post by peebeep »

Look for a compressor that has a reservoir tank attached, they are much more satisfactory in operation. You should be able to find a deal with such a compressor that includes a couple of airbrushes. The airbrushes are usually clones of branded equipment, but I know of several people that use them without any trouble. Be aware that if you need spares (needles and nozzles can get damaged) this might be a problem. Gravity feed airbrushes are best (those with the paint cup on the top).

peebeep
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

think i know the sort of set up you are describing for that price cos i bought one 5 years ago...........the compressor has lasted well....had some hard use in that time and has only just started to play up..........get a gravity fed ab,.........when i bought mine it came with a gravity and a bottle fed one........bottle fed is kinda useless to be honest........the gravity ab is ok...........served me well for ages, still use it now for when i want to spray larger areas but you will not get fine lines....but it was a great introduction to airbrushing and i think the whole shebang was great value...taught me a hell of a lot about the use of an airbrush without forking out for expensive iawata, badgers etc........at least once you have a compressor you can update the ab as you want
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
tecdes1
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by tecdes1 »

Missed this one when it came up but thought I would add my experience on compressors.

My first was a compressor with a pressure tank. This had a problem & I invested in a spare a compressor but without a pressure tank.

Asked my supplier who has been among compressors & about compressors for 25 years. He told me that some time ago compressors were diaphram & for those you did need a pressure tank. For the newer piston type compressor this provides a pulse free air supply.

He advised that if I was using the compressor intermittently, ie not continous as those in commercial art working through the day, then a piston type without a pressure tank would provide a perfect supply. But if it is being used continuosly then a pressure tank is an advantage.

The advantage is with a pressure tank the motor will only run when the tank needs pressure. Without a tank the motor will run all the time the airbrush is calling for air. So conclusion if you are using the unit commercially then a tank is required to extend the motor life. For modeling intermittent use you do not need a tank as the use is neglible & the unit has time to cool down.

So I bought a tank less compressor. Place a sample paint job of compressor side by side, which I have done, & you will not notice any difference. The other advantage is that the tank less compressor is about half the price.

Laurie
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I have an inexpensive Paasche H single-action airbrush - great for beginners and I've not outgrown it yet after 10 years! ;-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

tecdes1 wrote:Place a sample paint job of compressor side by side, which I have done, & you will not notice any difference. The other advantage is that the tank less compressor is about half the price.
Laurie, I wasn't trying to imply that you get superior performance, the only pre-requisite is that you have air in the air line and if the latter is of sufficient length then pulsing shouldn't be an issue in any case. If you don't have a reservoir and if pulsing might be of concern, then a coiled air line should be sufficient for peace of mind. Where the reservoir unit scores is in being able to switch it on, set the required pressure at the regulator then forget about it - assuming it has a pre-set cut out, which most have these days. I wouldn't have any issue with using a reservoir-less compressor if that's what fitted my budget.

peebeep
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

Compressors with reservoirs give you more squirts per decibel, important if you are in the habit of working late at night and there is anybody with a pair of working ears in your house. Whilst there are good deals to be had with the no-name airbrush and compressor combos, it's as well to regard the airbrush that comes with them as due for replacement as soon as you get it. Well looked after and with a dash of good luck they can be perfectly serviceable and long lasting bits of kit, and I've seen some very nice work turned out with them. The problem with them is usually the availability of spares. Needles and nozzles should be thought of as consumable items, they do wear out or suffer damage and if you can't get replacements the whole airbrush is landfill. Consider saving for something like an Iwata Revolution CR or Eclipse straight away. The Revolution is particularly good value, can be pimped up with pre-set handles and spares are easily available.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
tecdes1
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by tecdes1 »

peebeep wrote:Look for a compressor that has a reservoir tank attached, they are much more satisfactory in operation.

peebeep
Not trying to score points Peebeep I was just pointing out the differences between the two & my experiences of the two. It is then up to the person concerned to way up the type that suits them both in terms of usage & their pocket.

You mention "Where the reservoir unit scores is in being able to switch it on, set the required pressure at the regulator then forget about it". That is exactly how my reservoir less unit performs. Having worked with both types the only working difference is that without the reservoir the compressor motor is working all the time the one with a reservoir works intermittently.

The one I have is very quiet & is not heard if you are in the next room. As I work in the garage ( all fitted with carpet & insulation on the garage door, such luxury) the noise of the compressor is not a worry it is my wife who seems to feel that I need either the washing machine or dryer or both working while I am trying to make models. Incredible timing.

Laurie
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

tecdes1 wrote:without the reservoir the compressor motor is working all the time
Which is why I find it more satisfactory to have a reservoir. I paid a bit extra and for my own satisfaction it was worth every penny. If you buy something like an Iwata Sprint Jet(?) it will only run 'on demand', but that costs rather more than a budget unit with a reservoir. The OP suggested a hundred quid budget, if he wants to buy one with a tank he can, if not fifty quid should get him a pretty good piston compressor with a couple of airbrushes. I'm with flakmonkey on the AB itself, long term I'd be thinking about buying a branded AB.

peebeep
tecdes1
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by tecdes1 »

That is very satisfactory peebeep. It is so very pleasing knowing the facts that we can still make our own judgments in life.

Laurie
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

You're welcome.
Desert_fox

Post by Desert_fox »

Thanks for the help guys, it's all appreciated :)
PaulBradley wrote:I have an inexpensive Paasche H single-action airbrush - great for beginners and I've not outgrown it yet after 10 years! ;-)
I have been looking at these online and seriously considering taking the plunge, thanks. Tomorrow I am going on a mission into town to try and finally make my mind up and commit. Its quite scary though - this is all new to me and I don't want to spend what is a large chunk of income for me on something that could potentially be a lame duck! That's why I am so glad I registered here - the help you guys give is invaluable :-D
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Just for info, I run a separate compressor into an air tank -- it's something I can put together from local hardware stores.

For an airbrush, get the best you can -- I started "economy" had numerous problems and after my second one, I decided to go up a step. Now I'm on an Iwata Eclipse SBS and just happy as a clam !!! I have spare parts if needed (I have to mail order so I can't run to the store if I break something) and my habit is to field strip and clean it after every use.

Some of my friends don't have a compressor or tank -- they get CO2 cylinders, last a long, long time and can be refilled locally.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Desert_fox

Post by Desert_fox »

Thanks.
I can appreciate that buying a better quality airbrush will probably be the best thing for me to do. I am apprehensive though, that I might block/break the damned thing with my novice ways! As I said, the plan for today is to mish into town and see what I find, and then I'll hopefully commit tonight with a cheaper online purchase.
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

There's not that much to break on them, most damage is done when people strip them to clean them; killing with kindness. Nozzles are easily damaged by over tightening when reassembling the airbrush for instance. Though it's a good idea to strip it down occasionally, you can prolong the service intervals with proper cleaning. Get the colour cup nice and sparkly and backflush the 'brush to get the last dregs of paint out of the parts forward of the cup. Just put a few drops of cleaner in the cup, hold a cloth or kitchen towel over the nozzle and spray gently. This forces the cleaner into the nozzle and then, as it has nowhere to go, back through the hole it came in from. You will see it bubbling back into the cup. It's surprising how much gunk comes out. Tip the dirty cleaner out into a "dump jar" such as an old jam jar rather than run it back through the brush. Only run cleaner through when the airbrush is clean enough that backflushing doesn't turn up significant dirt. For acrylics I like to use diluted Fairy Power Spray as an economical and very effective cleaner. For enamels and lacquers, Revell Painta Clean or Polycell Brush Restorer (same stuff) do the job nicely. Invest in either a set of cleaning brushes or use a large synthetic or hog brush and some interdental brushes for serious clean up sessions.

FWIW, if you're only going to have the one airbrush, get a double action one if you possibly can. They are slightly trickier to master (although it very quickly becomes second nature) but you can do so much more with them.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?

Return to “Finishing Tips”