Airbrush buyers guide - help!

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Desert_fox
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Airbrush buyers guide - help!

Post by Desert_fox »

Thanks.
I can appreciate that buying a better quality airbrush will probably be the best thing for me to do. I am apprehensive though, that I might block/break the damned thing with my novice ways! As I said, the plan for today is to mish into town and see what I find, and then I'll hopefully commit tonight with a cheaper online purchase.
Will write history dissertations for modelling supplies...
flakmonkey
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by flakmonkey »

There's not that much to break on them, most damage is done when people strip them to clean them; killing with kindness. Nozzles are easily damaged by over tightening when reassembling the airbrush for instance. Though it's a good idea to strip it down occasionally, you can prolong the service intervals with proper cleaning. Get the colour cup nice and sparkly and backflush the 'brush to get the last dregs of paint out of the parts forward of the cup. Just put a few drops of cleaner in the cup, hold a cloth or kitchen towel over the nozzle and spray gently. This forces the cleaner into the nozzle and then, as it has nowhere to go, back through the hole it came in from. You will see it bubbling back into the cup. It's surprising how much gunk comes out. Tip the dirty cleaner out into a "dump jar" such as an old jam jar rather than run it back through the brush. Only run cleaner through when the airbrush is clean enough that backflushing doesn't turn up significant dirt. For acrylics I like to use diluted Fairy Power Spray as an economical and very effective cleaner. For enamels and lacquers, Revell Painta Clean or Polycell Brush Restorer (same stuff) do the job nicely. Invest in either a set of cleaning brushes or use a large synthetic or hog brush and some interdental brushes for serious clean up sessions.

FWIW, if you're only going to have the one airbrush, get a double action one if you possibly can. They are slightly trickier to master (although it very quickly becomes second nature) but you can do so much more with them.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Desert_fox

Post by Desert_fox »

Fantastic, thanks a lot. That's the kind of thing I would be unsure of - cleaning it after use! I would definately have just sprayed the painta clean through the brush without backflushing.
Luckily today I was given one of those cheap starter brushes humbrol do, which means I can get a knack for spraying before upgrading in a few days. One thing more though - can you explain the difference between double action and single action brushes please? Apologies if this basic questioning is slightly irritating, but I am very much a novice at this. Been a handbrusher all my life :roll: :ha:
Desert_fox

Post by Desert_fox »

I get it. That sounds like something I would definately want to be buying. Thanks a lot for the explanation!

Return to “Finishing Tips”