painting

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
alecras234
Active Participant

Re: painting

Post by alecras234 »

mild thinner, like what please?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

You are using Humbrol, try theirs - http://www.humbrol.com/shop/coatings-an ... ml-bottle/;

Ash, I'm not convinced we are getting anywhere, question by question. Can you list what modeling paints and supplies you have, even down the knives, files, brushes, so we can look at getting you properly outfitted ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

Here is an image of my modelling worktop, as you can see ive got a few humbrol acrylic paints, emery boards, large tweezers, magnifying glass, a pair of cutters and a pot of liquid poly. i do have a small box of cocktail sticks that are out of shot.

Ash
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Hi Ash,
The image didn't show - do you have a link to it, photobucket or something ?

I'm really interested in a simple list of the Humbrol paint products you have right now and do you have any thinners - then we can work on fixing up your Spitfire.
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

OK, well I don't see any thinners.

So, one solution would be to get some Humbrol Acrylic thinner, I provided a link earlier.

The other is some isopropyl alcohol, 80 or 90%, available at your local chemist I suspect. This can also be used to think acrylics, but I have no experience thinning Humbrol with it.

Pour a little thinner in an old cup, dip a cotton bud in it, and scrub away gently. You might "paint" some on a big blob, let it sit a minute then scrub it off. You'll need a bunch of cotton buds.

Let me know how that goes.

BTW, that is a really nifty looking work table !!!!
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

i have ordered a bottle of 125ml acrylic thinner, once its arrived what do i do with it, how would it melt the dried paint thats on my model spitfire where the hard lumps are? Also i have ordered a hobbyboss 1/72 scale spitfire, after mixing the paint do i add the acrylic thinner to the paint?
BlohmWolf
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by BlohmWolf »

Alecras:

You could put a very, very small amount of thinner on the brush and gently brush where the hard lumps are, then move it up and down like you normally paint with, so that it becomes normal paint again.

And yes, adding a couple of drops of Acrylic thinner to the paint after mixing makes a much easier to brush experience.

And also, I think you may want to stock up on some more paints. Have you seen any revell acrylics? Try them as well as getting more humbrol acrylics. You'll eventually have a full colour set ready to paint any model kit.
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Hi Ash,

You can do as BlohmWolf suggests, which is basically to brush the lumps out. If they get stubborn, put thinner on a cotton bud and just scrub them out. You can repaint after.

Look back up a few posts:
-- stir, stir, stir, with a lifting motion to get the paint thoroughly mixed.
-- pour (or use dropper) a bit out into your palette/mixing cup and mix it there.
-- wipe off the neck of the bottle and recap it tightly to get a good seal.
-- paint from the palette/cup not the bottle
-- don't put the mixed/thinned paint back in the bottle
-- clean your brush well.
alecras234
Active Participant

Post by alecras234 »

hi i have ordered hobbyboss easy assembly spitfire, which website do i go on to choose what paints to get for a particular model?
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

It will be the same colour as any other Spitfire.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

alecras234 wrote:hi i have ordered hobbyboss easy assembly spitfire, which website do i go on to choose what paints to get for a particular model?
The instructions inside will tell you what paints you need. Plenty of suppliers online. Just put the name of the paint into Google and do a search.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

Hi Ash,

At the risk of creating a "too many chefs" situation here is a list of modelling shops that people on this forum have recommended to me over the last 10 months....

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8093

As for which paints to get .... what Toby said is right. The colours you need will be on the instructions inside the box, so if you want to use the colours that they recommend then you will need to wait for it to be delivered, read the instructions and then order the paint based on what they say.

OR.... you could paint it any colour you want! Buying loads of paint can get really expensive, this hobby of ours is about fun. For some people that means making the model perfectly match the box, for others its copying an example of a real life plane, and for a few it means bashing them together then flying them round the room making plane sounds!

If you do want to get it looking like the picture on the box then you may find that you need more paints. At this point you need to know that all paint companies use a different numbering system so be careful when ordering.

There are some paint converters out there. Here are a couple.... just put in the manufacturer and number of the paint that the instructions as saying and it will give you the humbrol equivalent.... but be warned... not all the paints are in there

http://www.humbrol.com/convert-your-paint/

This one is great but can be a little confusing at times, take your time, read it slowly and then read it again! once you get used to it you'll find it really useful.

http://www.paint4models.com/

As for what others have said about lump paint... if it's really bad i just scrape it off with the blunt side of a knife (the aim is to take off the paint, not the plastic) and re-paint it.

To thin paint down all you need to do is put three drops of paint in to something and then add three drops of your thinner and then mix it up.

Finally... instead of using toothpicks or buying something to use as a paint stirrer just go in to a starbucks/costa/wild bean cafe and grab a handful of their wooden coffee stirrers. They are perfect and ...errr..... free....
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench

Return to “Finishing Tips”