Buying an Airbrush kit second hand...please help!

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Buying an Airbrush kit second hand...please help!

Post by Blueberryruby »

Hi guys,

I have started to really hanker after an airbrush set up but buying new is a little too far out of my reach at the moment. However there seems to be some good options on ebay, the only problem is that i have no idea what i'm looking at!

I have a gut feeling that it's better to buy the compressor second hand but the airbrush new to ensure that it's ok but I have no idea if that's right or not!

Some of these following items are the compressor only, others are the whole package. My question is "to bid or not to bid?"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301188934670? ... EBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281340515017? ... EBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191181667866? ... EBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121344840417? ... EBIDX%3AIT
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Buying an Airbrush kit second hand...please help!

Post by iggie »

A second hand compressor shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I would try and get a new brush if you can stretch to one; you'll never know what treatment a second hand one has experienced.
That said, as long as the airbrush works ok to start with, it'll give you the opportunity to see if air is for you or not.
The compressor in the first link is the same as mine; so far no problems with mine and a good range of pressures can be obtained.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

Thanks iggie, now hopefully no one else is going to bid on it!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I agree with iggie but, to add my two pence worth, just as a piece of general advice I'd go for a compressor with a tank. This acts to smooth out the airflow and allows more prolonged spraying while maintaining air pressure.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Dazzled wrote:I agree with iggie but, to add my two pence worth, just as a piece of general advice I'd go for a compressor with a tank. This acts to smooth out the airflow and allows more prolonged spraying while maintaining air pressure.
As a long time airbrush user, I second that emotion.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

The first Compressor looks like a good buy.

But if you really want an airbrush kit that will suit your every beginner's need, look no further than this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harder-Steenb ... 5af03a1949;

I got this for my birthday and it is brilliant. Cleaning out is super easy, titanium needle and stainless steel coverings, two paint cups and nozzles, what else could you want?
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The first compressor is the same as mine too, and it's been perfectly reliable. I also like the look of the Iwata brush and compressor combo in the third link. The price looks very good. It depends what your budget is. I would recommend getting one of the known brands like Iwata or H&S. You have absolutely no idea what you are getting with the cheap copies - some good, some bad.

If you have the money, the pump in link 1 plus BWs H&S brush would give you a nice piece of kit.
Up in the Great White North
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Post by fearless frankie »

ShaunW wrote:
Dazzled wrote:I agree with iggie but, to add my two pence worth, just as a piece of general advice I'd go for a compressor with a tank. This acts to smooth out the airflow and allows more prolonged spraying while maintaining air pressure.
As a long time airbrush user, I second that emotion.

Defiantly in agreement,you need a tank to maintain pressure
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

Thanks again guys. It looks like ones with a tank are about twice as much but still not so bad priced second hand.

I've been quite nervous about picking the wrong one so this has been really useful!

Return to “Finishing Tips”