How I use Humbrol Enamel Wash

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

How I use Humbrol Enamel Wash

Post by Blueberryruby »

I posted this on my workbench window after being asked how i use Humbrol Enamel wash but it might be more accessible here...

I have two types, black and dark grey. The dark grey has become really thick in the jar so when i use it i take out a little and thin it down with enamel thinner. The black stuff has served me well so far.

When using the black i give the jar a proper shake and a good stir, making sure that everything that settled at the bottom is mixed back in. Then using my smallest brush i dab it in to the panel lines, trying to make sure it doesn't go anywhere other than the panel line i'm working on, but if it does it's not really a problem.

I always apply it after adding the decals and a couple of coats of gloss varnish as it can help the wash run through the lines. However most of the time it just pools on the surface so i very gently (using one hand to control the brush and the other to steady the bottom of the brush) brush the pool over the panel line.

Sometimes it looks good, other times it's too thin so i do it again. Dip the brush in the wash and the dap on the area i want to apply it. Normally it runs better second time around which helps keep things neat.

Then i leave it a couple of days.

Once it's properly dry i then get a cotton bud and dip it in Humbrol enamel thinner, remove most of the excess (you want it to be damp, not wet), then then gently rub off the dried wash off of the areas i don't want it, the over spill. Its important that you don't rub in the same direction as the panel line you are tidying up otherwise it will also remove the wash in the panel line, also don't rub too hard otherwise it will take the varnish off as well!

Move the cotton bud at a 90 degree angle to the line. That way you should be able to remove the wash from the surface but keep it in the panel line. Also, if you want to leave dirty streaks to help with the weathering effect move the bud in the direction of the airflow (if possible) that way it will look like streaked oil and grime.

Often i end up removing the wash from parts of the panel lines so it needs reapplying, time to dry and then cleaning again.

Finally, try as you might it just won't work if the panel line isn't deep enough, if the lines are super shallow then another method may have to be used.

Here's my Hurricane where i used Humbrol wash and this method...

Hopefully i've explained it properly but any questions just let me know!
My Workbench Window is the Blueberry-Bench
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: How I use Humbrol Enamel Wash

Post by iggie »

What type of gloss varnish are you putting on before the wash; acrylic or enamel?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

Errr... Good question! I use Humbrol Clear and have no idea is that's acrylic or enamel.

I always give it a couple of coats before adding the decals, then add another coat or two over that and only then apply the wash.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I've got some Humbrol Clear so will go with that; I'm guessing it's on the acrylic side of life as it's a water brush clean...
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

A demonstration video can be found at
http://www.youtube.com/Humbrol
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Blueberryruby
Active Participant

Post by Blueberryruby »

There's some useful videos on there! The only thing i would add to the wash one is to make sure it's really dry before removing the wash otherwise it will come straight out of the panel line.

I've ended up going through a whole load of those videos now (thanks Ratch), there are some great tips in there!

Return to “Finishing Tips”