Thinners Help

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
wot4wayne
Series 3 and Beyond

Thinners Help

Post by wot4wayne »

Can anybody help me, I do all my painting with a brush using humbrol enamels I use humbrol enamel thinners and this is the thing I would like to know, do humbrol do a bigger than 125ml bottle of thinners, if not is there any other manufacturer that sells big bottles of thinners that I could use.
If it looks right it must be right!!
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Thinners Help

Post by SJPONeill »

I use I do prop up on alcohol for thinning most of my paints regardless of whether they are enamel or acrylic, the exceptions being those like Citadel that can only be thinned with water.I buy it in 2 litre bottles from my local hardware store. There is also an article at cybermodeler.com this week on making your own thinner if that helps...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

SJPONeill wrote:I use I do prop up on alcohol for thinning most of my paints regardless of whether they are enamel or acrylic, the exceptions being those like Citadel that can only be thinned with water.I buy it in 2 litre bottles from my local hardware store. There is also an article at cybermodeler.com this week on making your own thinner if that helps...
Methinks the smartypants spelling checker has struck!

Isopropyl alcohol is the stuff...

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Avalon
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Avalon »

The late great Ted Taylor always said white spirit was the only thinner needed for enamel paints. I've used it interchangeably with Humbrols own brand thinner with no adverse reactions on the enamels and cotes.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have several 250ml cans of Humbrol Thinner, but I agree white (or mineral) spirits are just fine and can be bought by the gallon if you so desire.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
wot4wayne
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by wot4wayne »

Thank you for your suggestions I never gave white spirit a thought, and the best of it is it’s so easy to get.

A big thanks
If it looks right it must be right!!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've always used cheap DIY store white spirit for thinning enamel paints Wayne, with no problems as yet (touching wood!).
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Finishing Tips”