Parafilm M

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
peebeep

Re: Parafilm M

Post by peebeep »

Yes. Whilst the duck's nuts might be overstating the case a bit, it is a very good masking medium. If you're wanting to buy I would suggest ebay, search for 'Parafilm M'. On ebay UK you can get 2"x12' for a fiver, which would last a very long time. Send me your address by PM and I'll post you some if you just want to try it out.

peebeep
Barry
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Barry »

I've tried it...wasn't terribly impressed. I have a roll of it but almost never get it out.
2012 A:12 B:13 C:0
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

Mal Mayfield of Miracle Masks fame swears by it. He explained to me that it is best not to stretch it too much before positioning. If you follow his advice it sticks better, is easier to cut in-situ and is easier to remove. I'm not flying a kite for the stuff, since discovering Kip tape I'm as likely to use that for masking, whatever falls to hand first.

peebeep
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Parafilm is ok but this stuff is worth its weight in gold.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
johnsan

Post by johnsan »

flakmonkey wrote:Parafilm is ok but this stuff is worth its weight in gold.
Be careful ordering this. GSI sells 2 different masking sols, Mr Masking Sol R and Mr Masking Sol Neo. The R cuts well. The Neo does not. The Neo is really good if you need to mask anything delicate like decals. It won't pull decals off.

I've used Parafilm M in the past, but never learned to like it. I have modeling buddies who swear by the stuff and use nothing else for masking canopies. My results using Parafilm were never consistent. No doubt I wasn't using it properly.
Really nothing pithy to say.
dknights
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by dknights »

The only problem with the Mr. Masking products is that if you dip your canopy in Future before masking it, the ammonia in the Mr. Masking product attacks the Future.
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Hmm I use Mr. Masking Sol R with Kleared canopies all the time, with no problems, it cleans up with water, maybe its the Neo that's ammonia based?

I've tried a few times to use Parafilm M, I've got a canopy masked with it now, whcih is the first time time I've managed to mask one completely with it, I'm eagerly waiting to finish it so I can pull it off and see how it went.

I've learnt its important to not over stretch it, and use a sharp blade to cut it, right into the corners.

Cheers
Jim
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

The only time I had a problem with Masking Sol R attacking klear was when the klear hadn't cured properly before masking it. Both masking sols are water based and at least in my experience won't attack acrylics.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Abbie picked some Parafilm M from the the stores at work. To be honest though I've never used in as I'm quite happy with masking tape. Probably should give it a go sometime.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
T-21
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by T-21 »

There is a superb article on using Parafilm on another well known modelling forum beginning Hy... by Dave Aungst.
Mods, Could this thread be moved to Finishing tips and highlighted ?

Return to “Finishing Tips”