Smoke

Ideas for displaying your models.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Smoke

Post by Chuck E »

I was just wondering if any of you folks had come up with a way of producing scale smoke.

For actual smoke I acould use one of the railway sets, but what I was looking for was realistic looking smoke that could be applied to the following . . . .

Ships, artillary, chimneys and damaged vehicles / aircraft.

When I was a kid, I saw a really nice display of model British Army soldiers from the 18th Century all set in a large diorama. There was a haze of gunsmoke from the muskets and plumes of smoke from the cannons. The latter was tinged red and really looked good. It was very fine and had a see through look, so it wasn't the usual lumps of cotton wool. Any ideas ?
So many models, so little time.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Smoke

Post by JamesPerrin »

No idea how the other modeller would have achieved his finish. Maybe they used this stuff or something similar:

http://www.milminwh.com/scalerama_smoke.htm;

demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiVmwE6g ... re=related;

I would have suggested cotton, but dye it first and then when dry tease it out. To help fix the smoke I was thinking about spraying it very lightly with matt varnish using an airbrush. Longer/larger plumes would need some sort of armatures either more cotton wool denser and stiffened or clear stretched sprue.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I've seen stuff that resembled the spray-on cobwebby stuff, for Christmas trees and...er....stuff, stretched out and thinned out.
I think that there's a material used for padding cushions and the like, that can be teased apart...

Regards,
Bruce
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

That Microfibre may be a possibility. I'll have a look for the decorative stuff too.

Thanks for the fast response.

The diorama was in a department store toy display in the 50's, so the modeller may not be around.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “Display and Diorama”