Chipboard?

Ideas for displaying your models.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Chipboard?

Post by Brickie »

Thanks to moving house in the summer, I have a garage full of dismantled old kitchen units, wardrobes and so on which are on their way to the tip as soon as we can organise a collection. It's all crappy chipboard stuff with a plastic veneer on.

Do you think there's any value to hanging on to some of this stuff to saw up for diorama bases or is it going to be more trouble than it's worth?
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: Chipboard?

Post by mattbacon »

I really wouldn't bother... It's way too heavy for most diorama bases. I go for 8 or 10 mm MDF for big ones, or thinner ply for small ones.

Take it to the dump - or if they are "dismantled" rather than "demolished" ;-P, try your local Freecycle network...

bestest,
M.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Re: Chipboard?

Post by Brickie »

No, they were on the verge of collapsing anyway, which is why we're not using them ourselves. A menace to health and safety...

I suspected as much, but thought it might be worth asking before chucking it. One thing I might do is find one of the crumblier bits and get myself a tub full of wood chippings. They're bound to come in useful for something. Likewise, I've salvaged a bit of spare worktop as a work surface and some nice thick corrugated card for doing ploughed fields.
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B

Return to “Display and Diorama”