Motley's Whirli-Bird

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Motley
Active Participant

Motley's Whirli-Bird

Post by Motley »

Thought id post this up here to hopefully get abit of motivation from others to try and finish this build. As you will remmeber last year we had the Whirli-Birds GB, i entered with my Roden PKZ-2, WW1 helicopter. Nearing the end of the build i hit the wall and lost interesting in modeling for a month or two and then this kit has sat in pieces ever since.

Upon seeing it this morning as i do every morning it finally clicked in my head that im going to finish it. Looking at it i only have two more stages in the build left to do with most of the construction done. Should be easy t finsih just need the motivation to do it tbh :)

This is where i got up with my build,

Most the assemblies arre together and just need putting together and little bits adding to them :)

And here is my build thread from the GB, http://uamf.org.uk./viewtopic.php?f=184&t=2038;

The bad thing is this may be the first of many kits of mine that end up in this section to get the push i need to finish them :ha:

Tom :)
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
MerlinJones

Re: Motley's Whirli-Bird

Post by MerlinJones »

Please tell me that that's a 2p piece and not a penny!

C'mon Matey...JFDI!

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Oh good I'm glad this is not forgotten as it looked quite interesting.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

So glad your going to finish this. Very unique.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Amazing, what was going on about a dozen years after first flight. Innovative, inventive, creative, courageous - the Right Stuff.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

It's as if, having failed to get properly airborne into the sky, they decided to give it a damned good thrashing!
Jagewa
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Jagewa »

Go Motley!

What a frighteningly scary contraption that must have been, as they are rotary engines aren't they, all that metal spinning around phew...

Looking forward to your finishing this.

Cheers
Jim
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

MerlinJones wrote:Please tell me that that's a 2p piece and not a penny!

C'mon Matey...JFDI!

Regards,
Bruce
Yepp that is a 2p piece and it is a 1/72 kit so it is a small model, with tiny parts :shock:
jRatz wrote:Amazing, what was going on about a dozen years after first flight. Innovative, inventive, creative, courageous - the Right Stuff.
In my opinion they just all seemed to be missing their common sense around this time with the contraptions they seemed to come up with :ha:
MerlinJones wrote:It's as if, having failed to get properly airborne into the sky, they decided to give it a damned good thrashing!
Looking at the videos you can find of test flights around this time i things this would be a correct look on things, although if i was the pilot of one of these, dont think id want to thrash it to much, specially seeing bailing out would lead you into the blades :shock:
"When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavor to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible." - Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Motley, is it whirling yet?
Motley
Active Participant

Post by Motley »

Ive been really busy with work and college at the moment so havent had much time for modeling but ive got one week left then ive got two weeks off college soo should be able to get this moving again in a week or soo :)
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

Sweet looking forward to it :)
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

As my kids used to say in the car "are we there yet?"
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I want the toilet.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”