Northrop BT-1: two models restored

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Northrop BT-1: two models restored

Post by vacant »

The Northrop BT-1 was a two seat dive-bomber that entered service in 1938. Think of it as lying alongside the Vought Vindicator and before the Dauntless.

The starting point of these two restorations are shown below. They were Esoterical 1/72 vacform kits that had been partly built and given to me as scrap. There were no other parts, not even broken ones.

My first step was to plunge mould the bulbous wheel wells. I carved the shapes from balsa wood then plunge moulded them into 20 thou. plastic card. The result was acceptable, just.

Both models needed new tail wings. I made them from plastic card.

One of the models did not have an engine and cowling. I made this one from spares and various bits. Both models also needed seats and other interior detail, though I did not go overboard on this. I drilled out all holes in the air brakes.

Undercarriage legs came from various spares.

I had one original but totally yellowed canopy for the BT-1. I packed it with filler, inserted some balsa wood as a handle, then plunge moulded some new canopies from 20 thou. clear plastic card.

Then it was on with the detailing and painting. They both needed the following: wing landing lights, pitot tubes, arrestor hooks, masts, gun sights, exhausts etc. Decals came from spares. And that was it, both finished.

And the good news is that I see I also have a complete kit also waiting to be built (complete apart from the metal parts that usually come with Esoterical kits). That's my next project.

59North

Re: Northrop BT-1: two models restored

Post by 59North »

Well done, indeed! To me, this is true modelling, and putting together a standard issue, injection molded kit is 'shake n bake' modelling. I don't have the patience for what you do.
iggie

Post by iggie »

59North wrote:Well done, indeed! To me, this is true modelling, and putting together a standard issue, injection molded kit is 'shake n bake' modelling. I don't have the patience for what you do.
Image As ever, some inspiring and impressive work to salvage two lovely finishes from a total devastation!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Another great rescue.

I always get a bit confused with the crossover and shared designs between Northrop and Douglas in the 1930s.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Jack Northrop worked for Douglas before he started his own company....hence the similar designs.
2012 A:12 B:13 C:0
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

They obviously weren't too worried about carrying over Intellectual Property from his previous employer.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent work (as always) on yet another type I've never heard of Vacant and an interesting write up.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

The way in which you restore scrapped models is an inspiration to all - it is impossible to tell that you have salvaged/moulded/retrieved etc various parts. Such interesting types too - again a branch of the lesser known elements of military aviation. Great.
SBO
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by SBO »

Excellent! More of a sculptor than a modeller it seems!
My modelling Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mattscalemodels/
broadside
Active Participant

Post by broadside »

Great modelling/magic as always!
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

The difference between the "Before" and "After" shots of those planes is nothing short of modelling alchemy. Outstanding.
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12

Return to “Aviation Modelling”