The Big Black Fokker - Hobby Craft Fokker Dr.1 1/32

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

The Big Black Fokker - Hobby Craft Fokker Dr.1 1/32

Post by AndrewR »

So here we have what I hope will be a relaxing out of box-ish build. :shock:

My first 1/32 kit for a long time. I did make a Revell Corsair when I was 11! This was a generous present from Professor Polarbear. So let's see what we get in the box.

It's a big box!

There are only two sprues in it though!

You can make a Dr.1 or an F.1 from this kit - there are alternative props and ailerons.

1/72 Sabre for size comparison.

A very nice decal set. Which I'm not going to use... :-D

I intend to do an all-black machine from Jasta 7, with some white markings and crosses on. Just to avoid anything too complicated. 8-)

Ltn Josef Jacobs, O/C Jasta 7 1918. His ultimate aircraft had the "Fire Breathing Devil" painted out. Fortunately for me. :grin:

http://www.fokkerdr1.com/Profiles/Profile_BP5.htm;

This kit is not reckoned to be up to much, largely because of the massively overdone rib detail on the wings. I've already rubbed these down a bit, and washed the sprues thoroughly to get rid of all the bits! I'm hoping that the dark colour will tend to disguise the surface a bit. I also can't see how you could get the decals on the surface with any hope of them sticking. I will probably paint the markings. I have even seen the phrase "Virtually Unbuildable" used on the web. Well, that's a challenge, isn't it :?:

The painting instructions are a bit vague, but I have the much better Eduard instructions from the Dr.1 Dual Combo, so I'll use those instead. I will do the (minimal) rigging using elastic thread. Turnbuckles? The jury is still out on that.

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: The Big Black Fokker - Hobby Craft Fokker Dr.1 1/32

Post by Clashcityrocker »

This will be interesting.
(Hides in pot plant "Velly interestink")

Nigel
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Clashcityrocker wrote:This will be interesting.
(Hides in pot plant "Velly interestink")

Nigel
Two very interesting sink holes filled in on each propeller! :)

I've also sprayed the interior parts of the fuselage with sand coloured primer. I can't see any other sink holes, although there is a bit of flash around some of the wingtips.

I'm going to go and check on interior colours - I have a feeling that the steel tubing and things in the cockpit are painted German Institutional Grey (aka RLM 02), and I have to check on the non-too comfy chair too.

Cheers

Andrew
BlohmWolf

Post by BlohmWolf »

This will probably look quite nice when finished.

But what about the rigging? How will you handle that?
"Can not finish a model at all"

"You can get more of what you want, with a kind word and a wallet, than just a kind word".

Currently Building: FROG Wildcat, Fokker DR1 Red baron and some other things...
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

BlohmWolf wrote:This will probably look quite nice when finished.

But what about the rigging? How will you handle that?
Elastic thread. There's not much rigging on a Dr.1 :)
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

That's one big Fokker! (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Modellers who only build expensive state-of-the-art kits with perfect parts fit (shake and bake) tend to bandy the phrase "Virtually Unbuildable" around far too often about kits that might need just a tiny bit more effort, generally it's the desire to criticise a kit that they might not be able to tackle.

It's the same mentality that causes them to look painfully hard to find something to criticise about every new Airfix release (The panel lines are too big, the panel lines are too small, there's a 0.005mm sink mark under the aileron, etc. etc.) because Airfix bashing is trendy amongst some people who continue to worship at the alter of Eastern promise. It's BS really. You just go for it Andrew and show 'em how it's done!

I'm looking forward to this mate!

Zee
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Long time no see (so to speak! :ha: ) Andrew,

Good luck with the Fokker I will be following this with interest.

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Andrew, I do not think the reviews of that kit were very bad, just the rib tapes. I thought they left off the color charts in my kit until I rolled the box over.

Can't wait to see this one go.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

jssel wrote:Andrew, I do not think the reviews of that kit were very bad, just the rib tapes. I thought they left off the color charts in my kit until I rolled the box over.

Can't wait to see this one go.
It depends where you look Jeff, there are some very bad comments on a certain forum (which I will not mention), but the review on Hyperscale was actually rather better. Just looking at the parts, the interior is certainly simplified, but I am going to resist the temptation to add extra bits. One or two bits look a bit clonky, and might benefit from replacement with bent wire, but that's as far as it's going.

cheers

Andrew
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Zee28 wrote:That's one big Fokker! (Sorry, couldn't resist).
You can't beat a good Fokker joke... :mrgreen:
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

The wings have been assembled and dry fitted to the fuselage. Big gap at wing root for the lower wing :roll:
I'm adding some shim (plastic card) to make it look better.
The props have been sanded and more putty applied
The interior got another coat of sand primer. The small components on the large sprue have been painted light grey.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Get some batteries for that camera, Andrew :ha: Don't you just love that box art. Not bad for CGI. Did you take off the rib tape?
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
aeroplanegripper
Active Participant

Post by aeroplanegripper »

That looks nice Andrew, will be following this one with interest, good looking plane the Tri-Decker.
Best Regards

Mark

"bis vivit qui bene vivit"
IPMS UK No 9960

On the go (ish), and under the bench or about to be:

Academy P-51C Mustang -1/72nd
Academy Grumman Hellcat II - 1/72nd
Hasegawa Brewster Buffalo I - 1/72nd
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Very nice to see a WW1 aircraft from someone else,even if it is in the "wrong" scale! This is a good aeroplane for any person who wants to attempt a first WW1 type as it had almost no rigging at all. This looks as though it will be a most interesting build - good luck - I will watch with interest.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

jssel wrote:Get some batteries for that camera, Andrew :ha: Don't you just love that box art. Not bad for CGI. Did you take off the rib tape?
Not all of the ribs, Jeff, I've sanded back, but to get rid of it all, I'd need a Dremel I think! Batteries are now fully charged so I'm hoping to get some pics up tonight. The box art is pretty good - but didn't Voss have a white cowling on his plane?
Lone Modeller wrote:Very nice to see a WW1 aircraft from someone else,even if it is in the "wrong" scale! This is a good aeroplane for any person who wants to attempt a first WW1 type as it had almost no rigging at all. This looks as though it will be a most interesting build - good luck - I will watch with interest.
It's the wrong scale for me too LM :) I'm normally a One True Scale builder, and I do like biplanes. Here's the 1/72 Revell Dr.1 in 1/72 I built a few months ago.

aeroplanegripper wrote:That looks nice Andrew, will be following this one with interest, good looking plane the Tri-Decker.
Yes, and as LM says, there's very little in the way of rigging for this one. I'm okay with doing rigging, but it is time consuming, and I have to be in the right mood to do it!

cheers

Andrew

Return to “Aviation Modelling”