14 OTU Codes

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Cliveb7gos
starter kit

14 OTU Codes

Post by Cliveb7gos »

hi i have just joined and was looking at a Hurricane built by Ratch ? It has been modelled as a Mk 2C serial MW341 and coded AM-A which is a 14 OTU code I am about to build one myself but having trawled through decal sheets cannot find the decals that RATCH used.The reason i'm modelling this aircraft is because my father served with 14 OTU from May 41 to June 45 first at Cottesmore then Market Harborough. Got a Hampden and a Hereford from that unit on the go as well and when finished will post them onto the forum if I can find the codes for the Hampden. Clive.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: 14 OTU Codes

Post by iggie »

Welcome to the madhouse forum!

Ratch may well have made the serial and unit codes up from individual letters/numbers; they can be got from places like Hannants and other suppliers if no one does a sheet for the aircraft/units you are after

Hope you find what you need, and looking forward to seeing your work
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Hi Clive,

Welcome to the forum. Ratch is a mate and is also the boss over on the Airfix Tribute Forum so I've copied your query to him via a PM over there and asked him to get back to you here when he has a chance.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Ratch »

Hi Clive, I used 24” letters by E.D. Models, 8” serials from Carpena and other decals included with the kit by Cartograf. No. 14 Operational Training Unit, Husbands Bosworth (satellite airfield for Market Harborough), 28/7/43, codes were AM & VB. Hurricane IIc MW341 'AM-A' served with 1683 (Bomber) Defence Training Flight at Market Harborough before becoming a 'hack' for 14 OTU.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Aviation Modelling”