A camouflaged Belvedere build - Finished

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

A camouflaged Belvedere build - Finished

Post by vacant »

Having bought a second Airfix 1/72 scale Belvedere to make rotors for the previous one I built, I thought I may as well carry on and build it. I did not show any of the construction phases for the first, so I will show a few for the second.

This time, I think I know what I am doing! I am doing some things in the same way as the first, but learning from all the mistakes I made. At least, that's the idea.

I started this one by making thin wire surrounds for the windows. These seem to be prominent on the real thing and it is best done early in the build.
I have build an interior with seats, at least in the places that can be seen with the door open - the door will be open.
I can use the rotor head and blades from the previous build for the rear rotors.
The forward ones needed to be turned over with the joints modified and the blades bent down.
The engine areas underneath has been modified with balsa wood. I have not yet attached the transparent grid. I can show photos of the underneath later.

You can see other bits of work in the photo.
I am aiming to finish this one in a camouflage scheme as I already have a model of the Belvedere prototype in white/silver.
I wonder what new mistakes I will make with this one.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Re: A camouflaged Belvedere build

Post by Chuck E »

That's a very neat layout diagram. I have an ancient boxing that may need to be reconsidered.
So many models, so little time.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Fantastic. I may very well dig out the Belvedere I bought 30 plus years ago and have a go.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Can you show more of what you mean by wire surrounds for the windows, pls?

David
vacant

Post by vacant »

If you look closely at photos of the Belvedere, there appears to be a slightly raised black line outlining the windows. I cut then bent a piece of fuse wire to outline the window then attached it with some PVA. Another thing to remember is that the main door should not be flush with the fuselage as it is on the prototype. It should be raised so that it can slide back along the runners. Unless, of course, someone knows differently. I really should go to the nearby Weston helicopter museum to have a closer look at the real thing.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

This'll be another cracker Vacant.

There's some good photos on the web of the camo one at Hendon, Goggle images Hendon Belvedere brought up some quite hi-res ones that might be useful to you.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

There are some contemporary pics showing a factory fresh Belvedere which has a very glossy finish. I suspect that didn't last long after being sandblasted by the downwash.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
vacant

Post by vacant »

The underneath is the most difficult part of the conversion. There is grid that ought to be transparent. As with the previous one, I have used 20 thou clear plastic card that I scribed with a sharp point. I will wash light grey into the lines to give the illusion of a grid. There is probably a fine mesh brass photo etch piece available, but I will go with what I have. One builder of this conversion has used ladies tights - I don't have any going spare. The parts in front and behind the grid need to be built up. I used balsa that I covered with filler then painted. I imagine that some resin aftermarket maker would charge an arm and a leg to give the same result.

In the photo, I have given it a light undercoat of light grey. I will give it several layers until it looks ok.

I have seen the Belvedere at Hendon and indeed, took a photo of it 8 months ago. There is also a Belvedere in the Weston helicopter museum. I will probably give a gloss varnish to finish it, though as suggested, that would probably be in factory fresh condition.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Watching with interest. When I did my conversion I made the mesh underside out of the Aluminium Mesh you get from car shops, it's used in bodywork repairs. I don't think it cost too much and is very flexible, although the ends can be sharp on cut out sections!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Im not normally in to Helo models but I am really looking into getting one of these.
Very nice start mate cant wait to see the fnished model!
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

I have to remind myself that this kit is 55 years old! Well, it does show in places, but in the right hands (like Vacant here is demonstrating) it can still be made into a excellent model.

And it's not like we've got much choice, the market is hardly flooded with alternative Bristol Belvedere kits!

I like your idea with the scribing on clear plasticard. You have now given me an excellent idea of how to finally do a tidy job of that fiddly b****** window with tons of framing in the belly of the Brewster Buffalo (if you've tackled the Airfix kit, you'll know what I mean!)

Zee
vacant

Post by vacant »

MarkyM607 - please feel free to post a photo of your Belvedere conversion here. It could be helpful to see a different approach to the work.
vacant

Post by vacant »

This is now at the stage that applies to every model, i.e. painting. I enjoy painting with my hairy sticks. There is something enormously satisfying about the caressing lick of of creamy acrylic on the smooth hard surface that is longing to be transformed by the creative and technical skills of the modeller.

There is of course, a lot more to be done, but it's on the way.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Looking nice. As requested here are a few pics of my HC.1 Belvedere conversion, not as neat as Vacants but a lot of work went into it none the less so I'm happy!!!!.

As I say, looks a bit of a mess close up, the mess is perhaps only good for stopping large birds or rocks!!, would be better if I did another but my other Belvedere kit is to be OOB. Sorry to ramble on and take up so much of your thread!!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
vacant

Post by vacant »

Thanks for sharing that one. It is especially interesting to see the mesh. There is a deceptive amount of odd bits of work one needs to do on this kit to convert it to the service model.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”