Arado Blitz

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Arado Blitz

Post by rob_van_riel »

Haven't been able to join in the current Blitz, so I figured the least I could to was finish the Blitz :-D

This is the 1977 Revell issue of the previous year's Frog kit. It put up the expected struggle, but turned into a nice model after a bit of work. I'd built this one before when both the kit and me were considerably younger, and just had to go back and build that thing with the completely over the top weapon on it's back again. Completely OOB, except for the naughty things on the tail..

Looking at it now, I'd say that the overload of payload attached to the basic frame, and maybe even the double engine pods, detract from it's looks.

"The making of" lives here: http://www.crazytinker.nl/kitlog/other/ ... blitz.html;

(click for larger picture)

Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Arado Blitz

Post by Gregers »

Sweet. I have one in the stash, hope mine turns out even half as nice.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

That is rather nice looking. Really neat blog also.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Nice work Rob. That combination is so ugly it's cool.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I like it! Really nice finish of an unusual build.....

On a design point, would the ram-jet exhaust not fry the Blitz' tail before it detached? Or was it launched and then started?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote:On a design point, would the ram-jet exhaust not fry the Blitz' tail before it detached? Or was it launched and then started?
Well, it's all somewhat conjectural of course, at best on the more realistic side of Luft46 stuff (all the bits were built, and assigned to a test squadron). I've seen drawings of the V-1 extended on a trapeze, which would solve this problem. I'm not sure delayed activation would be possible; missiles that use this approach typically take a few seconds to fall away from the carrier, but with the weapon on the back that seems unlikely..
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

An excellent build Rob. Perhaps to launch the missile the Arado would have to be put into a dive? Apart from the better performance of the Arado jet (which would have likely been seriously reduced by the missile in any event) I doubt this would have been more successful than air launching the V-1 missiles from He-111 bombers but it makes for a great looking Luft '46 model!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

ShaunW wrote:An excellent build Rob. Perhaps to launch the missile the Arado would have to be put into a dive? The contraption seems a bit unlikely to have worked to me but, hey, it makes for a great looking Luft '46 model!
Another solution to the problem. I honestly don't know. For me, this was just a nostalgia project; no deep research, no AMSing. I'm happy with the build and the result, but this was not the project for asking hard questions.
That said, I was very restrained and realistic in my approach (ahem..), since I left the extra external bombs off :-D
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Neat build of a crazy combo. The Frog kit does give you lots of options and fortunately I've got two of them.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Very well built and presented. Certainly an unusual combination and I am sure pleased that I did not have to fly the Arado with the V1 on its back - that alone must have been difficult, never mind launching the missile.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

iggie wrote:I like it! Really nice finish of an unusual build.....

On a design point, would the ram-jet exhaust not fry the Blitz' tail before it detached? Or was it launched and then started?
Point of order - it was powered by an Argus Pulse Jet - not a ram jet.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Very nice, perhaps if the Arado dived the wings on the V-1 would cause it to fly itself when fired/detached?.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

On the Shuttle glide test flights conducted in 1977, the separation was ensured by the 747 diving and turning to the right. Of course, the 747 didn't have to endure hot exhaust gases impinging on its tail fin.
vacant

Post by vacant »

Always great to see some life in an old FROG kit. They really can be a simple pleasure to build.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I built the Arado about 30 years ago. I still have it but it's pretty poor by my current (hopefully better) standards.

The one major shortcoming of the kit is that the truss assemblies that attach the rocket motors to the wings are moulded as solid lumps instead of a proper arrangement of individual struts. If I was building it again I'd change that.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”