Telford 2013

Discussion of the CBK SIG Display for SMW 2013. Rebuilding some of your earliest modelling memories.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Telford 2013

Post by philp »

All of you in North America, I am willing to transport magazines/books to and from if you are interested. I will be on the tour so will be there Saturday and 1/2 of Sunday. Not sure what time I will be there regarding set up but should have more info on the trip in a month or 2.

Not sure that I will be packing many models though hope to put a couple on the What If table and maybe the SFMK. If I can find something to fit this project, would love to add to it as well. Not sure my mags go back that far. My first model mags were Scale Modeler which I found at the base PX in the 70s. The base library carried Scale Models and I acquired a lot of them after a while but someone cut out a lot of the good articles before I got them (the nerve of some people). I do have lots of SAM and they might date back to there so will do some digging.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Very decent of you, Phil - I might well take you up on that! 8-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

This might be useful....

bestest,
M.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Anyone started building anything yet?
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

No, but I did find the ala Alan Hall conversion to the Lanc B.II that I didn't finish. I did a re-arranging tour through the stash this past week, so I've seen every box and bag, but no big Ah-Ha moment. I'm going to start on my back Airfix magazines next ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Well, I'm planning on a couple of builds starting next month, and possibly a third in July/August to complete another pair. I already have the Sabres done, so that's a third of my contribution done.
Paul

MDT

Post by MDT »

just looking through a 1970 print Advanced Plastic Modelling by Chris Ellis, the Gladiator out of a Gauntlet stands out as this seems to be my year of the biplane. However, as I don't have the Airfix Gladiator, would and one object to me using the Matchbox one?
Also for a bit of good timing, I recently found a 1983 Airfix Catalogue (minus cover...) , and I would like to contribute my Vulcan that I'll build for the Dambusters GB. I remember at 9 years old virtually drooling on to the page ( :drool2: at the prospect of a 1/72 version of my one of my favourite noisy bombers. It took nearly another 9 to actually get one!
The other page I've liked in this catalogue is one featuring the Karman Seaspite VS Ka-25. Both were released in 1983 but unfortuately I don't own these kits, but you never know what might crop up....
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Chaps,

Once again, apologies for being dumb, but it sounds like most of you out there have a great grasp on what we're actually trying to achieve in November. Can someone give a definitive statement (via PM, if I'm the only numpty) as to what exactly is "in" and what is "out" for the display.

There's much talk about "advertisements". I have no "old" magazines, so this is a route that doesn't look like it's open to me. Is there anything else I can do?

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

....I must confess, I'm not really sure what's what, either... I have no image in my head of what the display will look like, and although I do now have some old magazines etc, they never formed part of my early modelling life...

bestest,
M.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I think we're looking at a combination of James' idea regarding early modelling inspirations, and John's idea of of 'Then and Now' clusters - it's what I'm working to anyhow...! What we are going to call it, and how it will look is TBD, but I can get started at least.
Paul

Martin R

Post by Martin R »

James,

Fatherly duties notwithstanding, how about a statement summarising what we're trying to do in Nov - perhaps in a separate thread - so we can all get behind it?

regards,

Martin
jelly071
Getting well comfy!

Post by jelly071 »

I am not sure what is going on Either. I am Know i am not on here loads But i have kept an eye on this thread i am very confused
Thanks Mike
IPMS 12171 AMSIG Member

Love an old kit
beany

Post by beany »

I'm just the same - not a clue so far, and with so many asking the same question I am a little worried, added to which some forums seem to be going the same way with the nostalgia/adverts/catalogues thing, so whatever we do it's going to need to "pop" by comparison if we are to glean our usual public adulation at Telford (or I could just go as a visitor this year - that would be nice... :ha: ).

Cheers
Al.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I know guys we need to kick the current ideas into shape. I think we may need to have a poll to find out what CBKers are willing to contribute to. I really want one single concept not a mix of ideas. Also just can I point out to all that just because you never "built models that way at the time" doesn't mean some of the ideas are not valid or shouldn't be celebrated. I built 6 Frog kits for the Frog display - they were the first 6 Frog kits I'd ever built.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany

Post by beany »

JamesPerrin wrote:I know guys we need to kick the current ideas into shape. I think we may need to have a poll to find out what CBKers are willing to contribute to. I really want one single concept not a mix of ideas. Also just can I point out to all that just because you never "built models that way at the time" doesn't mean some of the ideas are not valid or shouldn't be celebrated. I built 6 Frog kits for the Frog display - they were the first 6 Frog kits I'd ever built.
Thanks James. I can't help feeling it is a little unfair to dump this on you, but I am happy to commit to whatever gets chosen. I just think some of us are anxious to get on with narrowing it down the one single concept just as you've said so we can decide what to build or at least start researching some solid ideas. The poll will probably be the best way to go but to be honest, personally, I'd be happy to be told what to build this year by the guys that already have a better idea of what the display should look like and just get on with it.

cheers
Al.

Return to “SMW 2013 - My First CBKs”