GB overlap policy

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

GB overlap policy

Post by rob_van_riel »

I just noticed something entertaining: The Dambuster and Mustang GBs overlap in time, and given that 617 flew some Mustangs, there is potential or subject overlap as well. A single build could well be on-topic for more than one concurrent GBs. Do we have policies/habits/traditions for dealing with this?

Rob
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: GB overlap policy

Post by lancfan »

617 sqdn flew just two Mustangs for a time, just one of many aircraft they have flown over the years.
I suspect you are trying to ask if one model can be built and then simultaneously be recorded in two GBs without actually doing so? Rob, consider it asked.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

lancfan wrote:617 sqdn flew just two Mustangs for a time, just one of many aircraft they have flown over the years.
I know, but there's markings for one on the decal sheet and an appropriate Mustang on sale for peanuts, so I couldn't resist..
lancfan wrote:I suspect you are trying to ask if one model can be built and then simultaneously be recorded in two GBs without actually doing so? Rob, consider it asked.
Sounds like you think I'm trying to pull something unethical here ;-) I really don't care about what is recorded, counted or whatever, and you have to care to cheat :-D

Still, if (to stick with the example at hand) there's a bunch of people doing 617 aircraft, and a bunch doing Mustangs, there's the off chance the Mustang folks will take some sort of interest in a Mustang being build over in the 617 GB, or vice versa. What I had in mind was a simple, single post in the related forum, roughly stating "hey folks, build of your subject going on in a different context over here", and wondering if that was the way to go.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Rob, I didn't think you wanted to cheat at all, this should indeed be possible and should not break any rules but I don't think it has happened before- circumstance has now brought this example to light, I have asked John for a ruling to clear it up once and for all. Well spotted.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Hi Rob (& David), perfectly good question.

We have no rule either way, just as there are a few other things not cast in stone, but which are the dreaded "way we've always done it" or "not done it" as the case may be.

I understand the rather rare circumstances and what I think are two questions.

First, NO we haven't, and NO I won't, allow the same model to "count" in two GB's. UAMF's GB's are not about numbers, but participation. It is the nature of the beast that one GB would be favored over the other by both the builder and the other participants. Essentially duplicative posts would become tedious. Even worse would be to just build in one and then post a completion in the other. In short I see no benefit to UAMF or it's members.

It would be perfectly correct to finish a 617 Mustang in the 617 GB and post it, with a link to the 617 build thread, in the "Previously Built" thread of the Mustang GB. Or vice versa. Assuming you finish before the end of the respective GBs.

I think the other question I saw was about a post pointing out commonality between the two GB's, perhaps even pointing out in the Mustang GB that one was being built in the 617 GB (or vice versa). One doesn't need a separate post, but certainly there is no problem pointing these out in the respective Chat threads.

The third, and best option, is to build one (or more) in each :-D
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
DHDrover

Post by DHDrover »

O Solomon where is thy sword?

Good answer John.

Dai
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

jRatz wrote:but which are the dreaded "way we've always done it" or "not done it" as the case may be.
The very things I was trying hard not to run into trouble with..
First, NO we haven't, and NO I won't, allow the same model to "count" in two GB's. UAMF's GB's are not about numbers, but participation. It is the nature of the beast that one GB would be favored over the other by both the builder and the other participants. Essentially duplicative posts would become tedious. Even worse would be to just build in one and then post a completion in the other. In short I see no benefit to UAMF or it's members.
Agreed.
The third, and best option, is to build one (or more) in each :-D
Agreed, but I'm already being overly ambitious, and circumstances have begun to move against what chance I had to pull it all off (as in: looks like those three weeks worth of vacation right in the middle of the GB might end up being cancelled :cry: )
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Had this dilemma last year with the twin boom GB. I built a Saab J21 with a shark mouth, the theme of another GB running at the same time and I was in a quandary about which one to participate in.

Saying that, how about a Shark Mouth II GB?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”