Light tent experiment

Hints and tips on photographing your models and dioramas.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Light tent experiment

Post by Softscience »

I have heard many great things about the benefits of a light tent in small-objects photography. An arts store near my home is selling small collapsible tents for a reasonable price, but I wanted to experiment before I invested in one. So I built my own out of a cardboard box into which I cut large openings on the top, front, and sides. I covered the openings with two layers of white tissue, like the kind used in gift packing. I then inserted a piece of blue card with a slight curve to cover the bottom and back sides of the interior of the box. For lighting I used two desk cheap desk lamps with soft white bulbs. I venture that a daylight bulb would work even better.

Here is the set up

and here are two photos of the same model against the same background, and with the same lights. Mind, that both photos are also augmented with the same "Autocolor" and "Autolevels" functions in Photoshop 7.0.

First, without the tent.

and now with the light tent.

The differences are not immediately apparent, but the light tent photo picks up subtleties (and mistakes) in the finish which the direct light photo does not capture. This was done with a simple set up using materials I already had around the house. It took 15 minutes to build, and even without Photoshop picture augmentation, the improvement in the photographs is notable. Definitely worth a go.
MerlinJones

Re: Light tent experiment

Post by MerlinJones »

Besides the undershadow being more diffuse, what is immediately apparent is just how better lit the fin and port side is.

Regards,
Bruce
Nax
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Nax »

Thanks for doing the experiment, the tent produces a notably better picture, like Merlin said the port side is better lit and I believe the colour is more even across the whole model. I will have to build myself one now, thanks for that mate. ;-)
Steve/Nax
Enjoying trying to make them look real.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

A great idea, though I'd be a little concerned about the chance of the tissue catching fire from the heat of the lamps if they are too close for too long.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Jagewa

Post by Jagewa »

I used baking paper for my cardboard light box, http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=13895; the baking paper is good to lots of heat..
Stevekir
Getting well comfy!

Post by Stevekir »

People might like to see my post, dated 1 December 2012 describing my recent experiments:

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t ... 337#p89337;

The pics at the beginning of the thread are good.

The light tent that I have is big enough, I think, for a 1/48 scale Spitfire, but it would be a little cramped for a 1/48 Lancaster which has a wingspan of about 17".
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I really must take more care in my photos. Currently just using A: Natural light. B: A flash with a piece of tissue as a diffuser. C: My model light.

I need to spend some time photoshopping too. Some of the photos that I've seen here and other forums are pretty bloomin' good.
So many models, so little time.
despondman
Active Participant

Post by despondman »

Chuck E wrote:Some of the photos that I've seen here and other forums are pretty bloomin' good.
My photos rarely come out very well, just the occasional one. As you say some people take excellent photos, and it really shows their models off well. The light tent is an interesting idea, might have to give it a try.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Looks like a good idea. I experimented with a light tent but it's a bit big and awkward. I almost got a smack in the chops unfolding it the first time, much to Mrs Dazzled's amusement. This one seems much more manageable.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Model Photography”