Why can't Americans say "Solder"?

Chill out 'n' talk about anything. Have a giggle, play a game or have a rant and try not to fall off the Soap Box. (NOTE Standard Forum Rules apply).
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Why can't Americans say "Solder"?

Post by Eric Mc »

It's strange how these "differences" become "normalised".

I suppose that the term "Concorde" as opposed to "a Concorde" or "the Concorde" came about because of the high level of discussion in the media that went on for years before the aeroplane ever flew in which they spoke of the project as opposed to the aeroplane itself.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Yeah, probably, and then it just slips into common vernacular. My old Mum (who has no interest in avaition at all) genuinely believed there was only one Concorde!
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

We have similar problems in Norway.
One example: The ones living in the east can't say the 'kj' sound correctly, they will say it as 'skj' or 'sj'. So often words will have a whole new meaning or just sound wrong, and we mock them for that. When pronouncing the word 'kjære' (meaning dear) they will by pronounce it as 'skjære' (which means cut/slice!).
We've always thought they were just lazy, but really, they have problems pronouncing it. My second cousin living there can't even pronounce some words spoken over here in my dialect correctly. She finds our dialect very fascinating and she used to love trying to speak like us, but can never do it.
Then there's the 'r' thing. One reason some speak English better depending on where in Norway they're from. I'm perfect offcourse! Often mistaken as Brit or Canadian when on holiday. :ha:
(Constantly mistaken as Canadian while on Cuba, even some Canadians thought I was from Canada, but then I make an effort)
Zee28 wrote:My old Mum (who has no interest in avaition at all) genuinely believed there was only one Concorde!
There's more!??!? :shock: :shock: :-D :-D
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Well Prisca, your written English on this forum is superb (putting a lot of us Brits to shame!) so I'm not surprised your spoken English is equally good!

Zee28
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

In the commercial "This is Camaro, by Chevrolet.", they are referring to it as a brand name, not as a vehicle - you will see/here the same thing with many other products, and I doubt it is an Americanism.

And, BTW, I believe it is also nautical (or naval) convention to refer to a ship solely by her name "Missouri" and not "the Missouri".
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

jRatz wrote:In the commercial "This is Camaro, by Chevrolet.", they are referring to it as a brand name, not as a vehicle - you will see/here the same thing with many other products, and I doubt it is an Americanism.
It's the norm in cosmetic advertising where brand is everything.

Return to “General Chat”