Picture size restrictions

Please use the stickied discussion threads for information/questions about posting images to UAMF, to include PhotoBucket, PostImage, and others.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Picture size restrictions

Post by Softscience »

Can we do away with the 800-x-600 picture restriction? I'm not sure why, but whenever I edit photos in photobucket, they automatically get resized to something larger.

Every single other forum I post on allows me to post the photos that way, but to post things here I have to make resized versions JUST for this site. I only have a limited amount of space on my photobucket account, so I can't do that with every singe picture I upload.

Flakmonkey, is the forum software unable to accommodate larger pics?

Thanks
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: Picture size restrictions

Post by beany »

I share your pain mate. It was actually the Airfix Tribute Forum that used to insist on the 800x600 limit that made me change my default Photobucket setting save all new pictures to that size, but it's still a pain when I try to post an older photo and forget it has to be resized first.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I resize with Windows 7 Paint and upload to PB already resized. Never had a problem.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

I use Picasa to manage my pix. For UAMF and Paper Modelers, the only two forums I participate in, I upload the pix using Picasa, crop or otherwise edit them then, and them export them to a temporary folder @ 600dpi using the Picasa export function. From that folder, I import the images into Photo bucket and then paste the image links into my post. Regardless of image size restrictions this is a habit I got into when we were on dialup (kids, ask an old person what this is) and then restricted broadband I.e. cellular and satellite. Its a habit now and if nothing else, means that I am unlikely to ever max out my Photobucket library.

The Picasa export function also allows me to automatically watermark my piux as well...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I know how to resize. That isn't the point of my post.

I like keeping my photos a bit larger. They upload just fine wherever I want to post them, but I have to make a second set of photos just to post here.

If the forum can onlynhandle 800 by 600 then fine, but is there a way to perhaps post thumbnail links then?
fredk

Post by fredk »

Yes. Use the link in photobucket. There is one which when you paste in the forum it posts only a thumbnail, then when the reader hits it it takes them to the full size picture on your pb page.
Depends on what way you have your pb menu choices. I have mine to give the url/links for Direct; IMG; or IMG thumb. The last puts a thumbnail here thus;
If you click on it it will take you to the full size version on my Pb account.

Part of the reason for keeping the images 800x600 is that there are still a lot of people who have dial-up internet or very poor broadband speed. A big picture takes forever to load and can freeze some connections. Keeping the image small lets them load the picture at a reasonable rate.

When my son spent some of last summer in Colorado he was surprised that in the area he was in dial-up internet was the only type available. He had to travel quite some distance till he found an area served by broadband.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Another reason is that the majority of people are on a screen 1024 or smaller and larger pix then force side-scroll of pix and text, usually for all messages on the page and that gets very annoying to read through.

The forum can handle whatever we set, but the decision long ago was 800-wide.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Please don't use thumbnails; they won't do your models justice in small size, and it's yet another page to load for those on dial-up or slower ISDN connections, or using a mobile (cell for you lot over the pond) with poor connection
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

jRatz wrote:Another reason is that the majority of people are on a screen 1024 or smaller and larger pix then force side-scroll of pix and text, usually for all messages on the page and that gets very annoying to read through.

The forum can handle whatever we set, but the decision long ago was 800-wide.
I agree with this as my main reason for wanting to keep pics to 800px wide. I find it frustrating when I have to scroll sideways to see the full pic on my older PCs.

David
Stevehnz
Active Participant

Post by Stevehnz »

I'd go with what David & John are saying, big images area pain on most forums whether they have the rule or not. I'm active on this one, ATF, Britmodeller & ARC & most posters tend to use smaller images, the odd one that doesn't is normally TOLD about it. With careful cropping & composing 800 px is more than adequate, imho. Out of interest, what size do you normally store your images on PB. Much bigger than 800px & they won't be very welcome on any of the forums I frequent, just saying......
Steve.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Softscience wrote:Can we do away with the 800-x-600 picture restriction? I'm not sure why, but whenever I edit photos in photobucket, they automatically get resized to something larger.
To what size do they get changed to?
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

JamesPerrin wrote:
Softscience wrote:Can we do away with the 800-x-600 picture restriction? I'm not sure why, but whenever I edit photos in photobucket, they automatically get resized to something larger.
To what size do they get changed to?

I'm not exactly sure, but they're not much bigger. Once again it is only the ones I do color adjustments to.

Here, check out the link to brit modeler. Some of the pics look like they're still 800-x-600, whereas others are not. The ones that have had their brightness reduced, seem to have grown a touch in width (maybe to 1024?)
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... try1885945;

I tried to upload the same series of pics linked above, to this forum when I got the warning message about exceeding the 800 boundary. I got too frustrated to figure out specifically which ones were oversized, so I just said "screw it!"

Really, its PB that is the problem.

Out of curiosity, do any of you have to actually side scroll to see the complete images in the link? I mean, they don't look that large. I'm not trying to upload wall murals here :)
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Softscience wrote: >
>
Out of curiosity, do any of you have to actually side scroll to see the complete images in the link? I mean, they don't look that large. I'm not trying to upload wall murals here :)
No problem seeing the pics in the britmodeller link without sideways scrolling.

David
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

its (edited) frustrating, because I have my PB account preset to automatically reduce images to 800-x-600, but the minute i try to edit anything in them, they pop back up in size. Also it only does it with photos I take with my Sony camera.

Most of my WIP photos are taken with my Android, and those dont get affected, but I like to take nicer pictures with the camera for completed work shots. I used to be able to tweak them without any negative outcome, then in the last month or so, photobucket decided to become difficult.

It wasn't a problem at first since most of what I was posting was going to a couple of pecialized armor forums, but I would like to share those photos here too. And its going to be a real PITA next time I want to post some 1/72 aircraft (which always go here first) photos, the next time I build one of those.

Sorry for the rant.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I always edit in Photoshop before uploading to PB - maybe trying to edit in PB itself is the issue.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Site Rules & Answers to Your Questions About The Forums!”