Flute's House of Ill Repute, re-built.

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Flute
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: Flute's House of Ill Repute, re-built.

Post by Flute »

The Great Auk wrote:Flute, that's one amazing SPAD!

The colors are so very pleasing to the eye and that rigging is absolutely first-rate!

The Great Auk
Thanking you...........it was a lot of fun to build it.

The Choroszy Caudron went into a stasis field at the beginning of the year when I realised after mounting the top wing that there was no way to add the booms without a major rebuild. Since then I've been messing with stuff I've not really had the enthusiasm to post, although they look okay-ish now done, except one of them. For the record, a Meteor T.7 and NF.13 from Classic Airframes, a T.7 from Aeroclub, all 1/48th, a long-in-progress Pegasus Fokker XXIII, and Emhar 1/35th Mark V hermaphrodite WWI tank, and because I think the Fokker needs a companion I'm now slinging together a Heller Saab J-21a.

The one that doesn't look okay-ish is because the paint job is still in progress - a complicated TT scheme off an Xtradecal sheet. It's in the photo, along with bits of 2 WWI vacs, a Navy N-9H Jenny by Esoteric and a Beardmore W.III by Joystick. The latter should look interesting next to my 5 Airfix Pups, being a highly modified Pup version for use from carriers.

Here's an Alleycat 1/48th Vickers Vimy, primered, but I'll get the struts painted up before I take it any further. The Dreadnought underneath it really needs some TLC.

Nearly forgot, here's an Alleycat FB.5 Vampire. I didn't build it that well, but very pleased I got it for 99p off Ebay.

Aeroclub T.7.......

Classic Airframes NF.13 (decals shattered, and I've added a few lumps the real aeroplane didn't have, as I found out too late).

Emhar tanketty-tank. Not my area of expertise, but fun to build. The finish in real life is much more matt than here.

And finally, because I've got one of the new Airfix Blenheim Mark 1s, here's the MPM kit, with Kits at War decals:

Cheese.

Paul.
One cannot kill a horse with a flute.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TobyC »

Some excellent work and the tanketty-tank weathering is superb
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
giulio_gobbi

Post by giulio_gobbi »

TAnk it0s superb, I like the weathering.
Sometimes the talent consists exactly in that: try five dozen times when others stop at three dozen...! (F.Labelle)
I think that modeling is a subtle mix of zen philosophy and absolute crazyness - but in my case I would not dare to specify the respective percentage of each......
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Long time no see!
Some beautiful looking models you should be proud of!

cheers,

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Indeed - very nice stuff, Paul!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Jim
Getting well comfy!

Post by Jim »

That tank is stunning! well done!

Jim
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Some excellent models there Paul and, although you state that it is not your area of expertise, that WW I tank looks superb.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Flute

Post by Flute »

Thanks everyone. Nice to know the tank meets with approval - I've got a Meng FT-17 to do sometime to keep it company.

Meanwhile.............this is the Alleycat 1/48th Vickers Vimy, slowly coming together. Used the last of my Xtracolour Nivo on it, just found out they don't stock it any more at my local shop.........

Cheers, Paul.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Vimy's seem to be the flavour of the month or rather the last couple of months as SAMI had a most excellent article on the Frog Vimy :roll: ;-) and yet another one this month. I also got hold of the profile by JM Bruce for my eventual foray into the matter. I remember seeing a naked one a few years ago on the AlleyCat stand, it's pretty big in 1/72 and must be weighty in 1/48
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Flute

Post by Flute »

JamesPerrin wrote: I remember seeing a naked one a few years ago on the AlleyCat stand, it's pretty big in 1/72 and must be weighty in 1/48
It's getting seriously unwieldy. A lot of energy waiting to be released by a short vertical journey tied up in that thing, of which I'm very aware while swinging it about checking alignment, made even more interesting by the slippy nature of the gloss paintwork........ Doesn't help that almost everything is solid resin.

Cheers, Paul.
Marek

Post by Marek »

Some amazing stuff being built on your workbench. I have to say that all resin Vimy would be a little too intimidating for me at this point, not by sheer size but sheer amount of things to go wrong :).
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Crickey, a 1/48th Vimy, a hardcore bit of biplane modelling Paul. That looks to be a bit of a beast!

IPMS#12300
Flute

Post by Flute »

Reached the stage where I just want it done - too fragile and heavy to be much fun any more, and spoiled by a wayward strut I can't shift (but damn well will ignore). Anyway, as light relief, here's the bomb load receiving bracing bits between the fins. Not supplied in the kit, although the holes are. In fact, the bombs were too hard to successfully remove from their casting blocks without breaking some of the fins. I salvaged 3. The rest are spares from Roden kits. The reinforcements are cut from 10 x 5 thou strip.

Bit academic really - you rarely see pictures of bombed-up Vimys. But the guns aren't usually left mounted when parked either, so this time I thought I'd put them all on.

The model itself is done except for addition of windscreens, Scarff rings, weapons, and props.

Paul.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Those WW I bombs certainly look different to my eyes, which are used to looking at WW II onwards ordnance. The Vimy will certainly look like it means business with that little lot on board!

IPMS#12300
Flute

Post by Flute »

ShaunW wrote:Those WW I bombs certainly look different to my eyes, which are used to looking at WW II onwards ordnance. The Vimy will certainly look like it means business with that little lot on board!
You're right. And just to prove it..............

........and finally:

And now I don't know what to do with it. Too big to fit in any of my cabinets. A doorstop, perhaps?

Cheers, Paul.

Return to “Workbench Window”