OT's Skua Mk.II

Runs: August 1st to September 11th
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: OT's Skua Mk.II

Post by Old_Tonto »

MerlinJones wrote: And don't display it on a mirror!

Bruce
That sounds like the voice of experiance. :razz:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Its looking good so far,

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Well if I thought the fit of the fuselage was bad I had no idea - the wing fit is awful. Once the U\C bay parts are attached the top of the wing will not fit & leaves a huge gap along both the trailing & leading edges. I guess test fitting should have been done properly! :oops:

After major surgery & sanding I managed to get the wing top to fit but it still needed much glue, clamping, gluing, clamping, repeat….. :evil:
Even then there are gaps but at least they are manageable. Again I had to make a choice so I decided to minimize the leading edge gaps & fill as best I could the training edge.

After that came the next obstacle, attaching the wing to the fuselage. Fit was terrible once again but after a couple of hours of sanding the wing is attached. I was losing my Mojo for this one but now it is looking like a Skua I have it back big time. :-D

I will try to get the canopy masked & start on the engine today. More to follow. :smilie_flagge3:
Current Projects:
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Old_Tonto wrote:
Martin R wrote:Ian,

That's good progress. Pavla kits have a bit of a reputation for fighting back. How are you finding it?
Although the resin parts are very crisp & detailed they are not the best fit. I did a great paint job on the instrument panel only to find that it is too wide for the fuselage! So I had to sand away lots of nice detail. :cry:
Also I think the cockpit floor is too low although I followed the instructions closely. Time will tell.
Old_Tonto wrote: Apparently this or something very similar was worn during the hunt for the Graf Spee.
Martin R wrote: Really? I didn't know there was an aircraft carrier involved. Do you have more details?
Martin, the Royal & French Navies formed eight hunting groups in the Atlantic and one in the Indian Ocean to look for Admiral Graf Spee, totalling three battleships, two battlecruisers, four aircraft carriers (Ark Royal, Eagle, Hermes & the French carrier Bearn), plus 16 cruisers.

Ark Royal was part of Force K along with the Battle Cruiser Renown. She docked in Rio 4 days after the battle of the River Plate.

Ian,

Many thanks for that.

How many shredded wheat did you have to have before starting this one :lol: >

regards,
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Looking good Ian
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Martin R wrote: How many shredded wheat did you have to have before starting this one :lol: >
NOT ENOUGH! :roll:
Current Projects:
Justin1980
Active Participant

Post by Justin1980 »

Looking good Ian,

Justin
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Looking good. I really like this plane for some reason - I´m about to start a Roc. Be careful when you cut the canopy out its easy to snip off a bit much, did you get a spare with this one?
running at the edge of their world
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Sorry to say that I will not be able to complete this kit on time. Due to work pressure - I have worked the last 10 days straight (apart from a Blitzbau day :???: ) and we have friends visiting this weekend so I won't so I simply will not have time. :frown:

I will carry on though so it will be done soon. sorry about that guys. :shock:
Current Projects:
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Old_Tonto wrote:Sorry to say that I will not be able to complete this kit on time. Due to work pressure - I have worked the last 10 days straight (apart from a Blitzbau day :???: ) and we have friends visiting this weekend so I won't so I simply will not have time. :frown:

I will carry on though so it will be done soon. sorry about that guys. :shock:
OT,

No need for apologies. Life comes first.

And that kit will, I'm sure, be a diamond - even though it's definitely in the rough at the moment!

regards,
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."

Return to “Anti-Shipping GB”