Shropshire (Cosford) 2015 show

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Shropshire (Cosford) 2015 show

Post by chrism »

Sorry to read this Tom. Hope its not related to the other "news" from that industry that is making headlines this week
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
TomW

Post by TomW »

Unfortunately it was related to a mistake I made that resulted in damage to one of the machines. The company decided that although it was not my intent to cause damage I still had, and that constituted Gross Misconduct under their disciplinary procedure - the result was Summary Dismissal without notice. I will be appealing on the grounds that I was an employee of good standing with no prior instances of misconduct or poor behaviour and that the decision was excessive considering outside influences on the day. It was also clear that the manager holding the hearing had made a pre-judgement on my guilt and failed to take into account my situation or the effect of the decision upon my wellbeing.

I'm not holding my breath for a positive result and it is going to be very difficult to find employment with such a decision on my employment record.

But such is life and I'll keep on surviving :grin:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Very sorry to hear that, Tom. Sounds like walking a tightrope.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Jeez, they've taken a very hard line stance there Tom. No one goes through their working life error free IMHO, including your manager. I sincerely hope that you can come through the other side of this situation unscathed.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Try nailing them on the "proper training" front. Throw the blame back in their direction and sue them for everything you can get.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I've decided not to drive up to Cosford on Sunday morning as I'd have to leave before 6am to get there in time for the start of the show so I've booked a hotel for Saturday night. If anybody else is thinking of doing the same the Holiday Inn in Telford has rooms on offer for £45.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

As I've for finally got a smart phone I shall try tweeting updates search for #cbksig
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sounds great James. My phone, however, is as thick as two short planks so I'm afraid there will be no tweeting from yours truly. Soz.

Hopefully we will all have a cracking day out at this show and I very much look forward to meeting familiar faces and new. If you're attending the show, UAMF members and lurkers alike, please come and say hello and chew the fat about some old plastic. We won't bite, honest :ha:

IPMS#12300
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I will have Carrie with me as usual so we will overshoot Cosford on the way from Derby to have breakfast at the Services at (M54) Junction 4, then double back to Cosford afterwards. I'll be there about 8.30 - 9.00ish.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I think that it's safe to say that a good time was had by all. I'll set up a report thread later today after I've sorted my pics etc as I was too knacked after getting home last night.

IPMS#12300
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I had a great day, meeting up with old friends and making new ones. I only bought one kit (new Airfix Defiant), but got stocked up with new paint supplies :razz:

All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Cool! Good set-up, guys. Was it busy?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sorry for the delay from the bridge.

In my view this was generally a good show with plenty of folk in attendance. The CBK stand was based under the wing of a magnificent Avro York (as you can also see in Ratch's photos above). The positioning of the table did, however, have the disadvantage of us facing a clear wall of the hangar designed to let light in, although opaque enough to prevent any direct vision into the building, which meant that people speaking to us were in silhouette, especially when the sun was out and the light played havoc with my attempts at photography. It has to be said though that I am not exactly David Bailey :roll:

As the venue is a museum this gave the advantage that members of the public who possibly would not venture into a pure model show were also milling about and hopefully some went away inspired to have a go at the hobby and certainly there were a number of young children who seemed to take an interest. Personally, from a displaying modeller's nerdy perspective, I have slightly mixed feelings in that the sheer size of the venue resulted in the model show being split into little pockets, tucked away here and there and largely out of sight of each other. That said, I did enjoy the occasion and there are some truly wonderful exhibits at the museum.

Here's some of my pics and, with a bit of luck, there will be better ones to follow from Beany and James who I also noticed were clicking away.

Here's the table under the York:

And some views of member's builds. Please accept my apologies if yours aren't featured but I'm a poor photographer armed with a not so good camera. I took a few shots, but most were pants.

This lovely Buccanear (Paul Bradley's I believe) picked up quite a bit of interest including one chap offering to buy it. We decided to decline and I'm sorry if that cheated you out of a new Mercedes Paul.

I noticed during my stints behind the table that perhaps Beany's groovy Boston attracted the most interest with the passing punters, modelling and non-modelling alike and in particular from one cheery sci-fi modeller who was particularly taken by the fact that it wasn't "all boring, green and brown like the others" and then he proceeded to advise us (at length :ha: ) as to the current arguments in the sci-fi world as to the accuracy of the colours on those big walking tank thingies in Star Wars (sorry, I'm not a SW fan but I think I managed to stop my eyes glazing over too much as he went away happy enough and I certainly didn't want to upset the guy) Maybe there's a theme idea there, groovy CBKs :ha:

Huge thanks to CBK stalwarts Alan Bean and James Perrin (many thanks once again for the Strikey James) for their manning of the table, bringing models to help fill it and helping me from not doing too much of a rabbit in the headlamps impression at my first show as leader of the SIG. It was also excellent to meet and chat with Darryl (Dazzled) and Ratch, both of whom also brought in some excellent models from their respective collections.

All in all, a pretty good day out but I had to laugh (wryly) at the amateur Brummie (aka a person from Birmingham to overseas readers who may wonder what I'm on about) weather forecaster who I chatted to earlier in the morning outside the hangar whilst enjoying a ciggie break. He assured me that the weather, which was very windy and caused model box handling issues including Beany unfortunately suffering some damaged items, was to become nicely settled later in the afternoon over the Midlands where Cosford is situated whilst being utterly pants further up North (where James and I would be heading at the end of the show). He was wrong. When James and I left the venue there was sleet of biblical proportions and we got soaked. Ho hum.

IPMS#12300
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

An interesting day to say the least - the weather was ridiculously windy. It cost me because Carrie was holding my large box full of my CBK table paraphernalia with a smaller box on top containing a Matchbox Henschel Hs126 and the FROG Wessex Paul sent over for me a few years back. The wind caught this smaller box and basically dashed the content all round the car park, even blowing some parts under a parked car. The Black Prince was also in there but escaped almost unscathed save for some minor damage to his helmet (leave it...!).

This was our first year in the Cold War Hall which by it's nature is kept kinda gloomy, and hence not particularly conducive to viewing scale models. We were facing a bank of frosted window panels along the side of the hanger (and an imposing mobile Rapier AA Unit) which meant the glare was such that we saw little more than silhouettes passing by all day.

Apart from that, it was great as always to meet up with old friends and make a few new ones. I kept my spending in check, to whit one Airfix 1/144 707-436 (BOAC decals scheme - say no more) and an old Hasegawa MiG 27 Flogger for use in the Lesser Know Forces GB (with my Linden Hill Iraqi fighters decals).

Here are the few pictures I took of the CBK table.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

PaulBradley wrote:Cool! Good set-up, guys. Was it busy?
I thought it seemed very busy :grin: Apart from a few expeditions to make purchases, I flitted between CBK, Cold War SIG, L&C, Britmodeller and AMSIG tables. The crowd seemed well behaved (no tiny touchy fingers that I saw), but friendly, chatty and interested in what was on display 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Classic British Chat”