For SWM 2017 theme : Korean War Chinese Howitzer 1/35 scale

Moderators: Falcon, Dazzled

chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: For SWM 2017 theme : Korean War Chinese Howitzer 1/35 s

Post by chrism »

Thanks for the paint advice.

I have now taken brush to model and the lower hull has had a coat of R65 bronze green, it was still wet when this was taken, meanwhile the upper hull had a base coat of steel followed by a coat of floor polish varnish, and will get a coat green tomorrow when I do both parts again. Track links are still on the sprue, but I have started with a base coat of steel paint on them, and have quite a way to go to finish them before attempting assembly yet.

Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

The green looks spot on 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Looking good Chris. I think the shade of green used on Soviet armour has been the subject of some debate over the years. I have to admit that colour arguments don't interest me a great deal as I have defective colour vision in any event and I ask Mrs W for clarification of shades if I get a bit stuck. I built a SU-100 a couple of years ago and by way of an experiment I went a little lighter on the base green to allow for the fact that the application of my usual Burnt Sienna and black oil paint washes for the weathering would darken the paint. My own messing about aside, I've heard and read that Bronze Green is a good "average" base shade for Sov tanks.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

There's an awful lot of discussion over Soviet colour schemes for armour and aircraft. It's not helped by the fact that machinery was often painted in the field with whatever was to hand.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
chrism

Post by chrism »

It has all had enough Revell 65 that is looks Ok now, and I need to get back to adding a few little bits to the upper bit, then it will be the tracks....

Since getting some paint on it by end of last week, I went down with "the cold" and am still not feeling like doing much full stop. Concentration is not there, due to feeling crap, so modelling is in doldrums for a few days.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Hope you get better soon Chris. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks, Daz. I am starting to feel a bit better, but am still a tad under-the-weather. I knew I was not well, as I didn't want any beer all last week :oops: Anyhow, as I was feeling a bit better, I had a session modelling this afternoon:

WARNING - this photograph does not convey the frustration and swearing that the track links are provoking.

I knew the tracks would be a challenge .... they are certainly so far living upto it.

Has anyone seen one of these on display yet without the tracks? ....

Seriously - I have to pack up a lot of my modelling stuff soon, and will be reduced to a mini-workbench on a tray on dining table for a fair few weeks, hence I shall have to revert to one-kit at a time (which will be OK for painting Airfix figures or knocking out 1:76 classic Matchbox armour kits) ... BUT is NOT how I like and generally work with more challenging serious kits! So I hopefully will try and get one side tracks on and set over the next few days and will then pack it away till "normal service" can be resumed later. I will also at this point, be at a stage where it will not take me too long to pick up and resume later in year!, and all small fiddly detail parts are still on sprues and safe.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Glad you're getting better Chris. Not feeling like beer is, in my experience, a sure sign that one is under the weather.

On the subject of tracks, I rather like Dragons individual links. It's all about how you approach their assembly. I tend to use a simple jig and do most of the assembly on the coffee table in front of the TV. And they do look good when done 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

chrism

Post by chrism »

I have persevered for the past couple evenings - on a tray in front of TV infact....

I plan to incorporate these 3 figures - one which is a half-figure poking head and shoulders with arms out of the open hatch doorway, another sat on side tank, and the third stood with arms leaning on at the side.

Needed to sort them out now, so that I can infact put a wedge of something inside, for the half-figure to wedge onto when I later fit it, before I glue top on.

Currently unsure whether to have the other two circular hatches on the top slightly ajar or have them both fully closed?
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Great progress so far and the kit figures look quite nicely moulded 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

If it's any consolation the tracks look great with realistic sag.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
chrism

Post by chrism »

There has been quite a bit of progress that has gone unreported.

As far as I am concerned, everything is going Ok,

the tank has got to this stage, and there are a few bits and pieces still to add to finish it off, but I intend to wait until the scene is set and base work is all done before adding those bits and weathering it.

the lmen had a dab of paint, as a base, but will given how I now plan to utilise them, have to have some corrective work and limb reposing

The base board and scene/setting ... I want to keep an element of surprise in what I doing with this, until the final reveal, but it is all going to be set on an A4-sort of sized dinner plate table mat, so it is not too big for you to transport... and I have carefully taken a couple of shots but not revealed everything done so far.

I took it as my WIP to local club night this week and amazed everyone with what I had achieved, once they knew just what I had really used to achieve it.

The bit of dead branch in the foreground of the second photo will more than likely still be incorporated in the final scene, I am still working on and chopping up the larger piece in first image, but the ground covering on base setting is mostly done, and some other foliage stuff you (purposely) cant see is all fixed.

I shall be back on this again in a week or six, once my Westland helicopter production line is over .. but fear not, it will be all done in good time
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Excellent progress Chris. Hugely impressed with the way this is coming on. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

chrism

Post by chrism »

Finally ..... it is as complete as I am going to be making it.
(since these pics were taken I have added a bit more tiny detail to faces of the 3 figures, but it is now boxed up):

Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

That looks awesome Chris. I can't wait to see it in the styrene although I think I might have to up my game if I'm going to put any of my models next to this 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Cold War @ SMW”