Skypirate's Hideaway

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Skypirate's Hideaway

Post by skypirate »

dwomby wrote:Maybe you could ask if anybody has a spare set? Doubling up can usually deal with transparency. David
Good idea, David, but I reckon that spare Dako Plast decals for this particular kit would be very scarce. Besides the decals are not good.
So I have painted over the numerals (and also some silvered decal film around the stars and elsewhere!)

You can see the silvering on the tiny serials. #$%@&!! There is also some mysterious pale streaking visible on the stars. I can live with that, but I have painted over it where it showed up on decal film against underlying camo colour.

This short-run kit is a good effort, with nice detail, some vague positioning, and finally let down by the decals. I could not find replacement markings for torpedo-carrying Shturmoviks.

cheers,

David
Marek

Post by Marek »

David, did you try to cut few times horizontally through the number stencils and put some Micro Sol? It helped me few times.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Marek wrote:David, did you try to cut few times horizontally through the number stencils and put some Micro Sol?
Yes, I did. These decals seem unaffected. Anyway, could be worse. Couldn't it?
When it came to mounting the torpedo, I found the vague instructions are not as helpful as they should be. The rear mounting has been relocated forward, and shortened by about 1/3rd. The forward mounting will have to be shortened. And I will have to cleanup and repaint. Grrrr.

With the nose of the torpedo only a foot or two behind the propeller arc, both mountings are attached to the rear half of the torpedo! Doesn't look sensible or practical, but there it is.

Meanwhile the Luftwaffe Phantom is on its undercarriage. Once I run a wash through the control surface hinge lines, I will mount the ubiquitous wing tanks.

The Italeri kit is a very neat kit, showing its age in the cockpit and raised panel lines. It has whet my appetite for a return to Phantoms!

Thanks for looking,

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

Your Phantom is looking very smart indeed David
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That is a very nice looking F-4, Great work!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I think I would grit my teeth and live with those Shturmovik decals David, I have one or two jet aircraft models in the collection with silvered stencils like those but have found that with the model set at the right angle to the room lights the silvering doesn't show too badly! It's a bind when it happens though.

The Phantom looks great and I am quite a fan of the type. Roll on the Airfix new tool later this year - I'll make sure I have some pennies saved for one of those!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, chaps!
Quite a few distractions and trips to the Big Smoke last weekend and this coming weekend, so only a little progress on all three models on the bench:
The IL-2T torpedo racks have been re-sized and relocated. The picture shows the suggested positioning of the racks (and the torpedo relative to the propeller arc). You can see why I am dubious about more than half the length of the torpedo hanging ahead of the forward rack. But this will be it, once I have cleaned up.

The Phantom is now only awaiting the canopies to be finished. However, the resin seats are too nice for a closed-up cockpit, so I am going to try and improve the kit seats a bit - some work is definitely necessary! There shouldn't be any see-through bits on the back of the seats! (BTW, the cockpit is too basic to show off open).

And lastly, the Airfix 1958 Hurricane is ready for the sky spinner and rear fuselage band, and the yellow wing leading edges. After that I can have fun with the RPs!

Thanks for looking,

David
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Some lovely ongoing work there, thanks for sharing.
George B.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Indeed there is much to admire here David with these three builds. To be honest I didn't know the Sturmovik ever served as a torpedo bomber. Although I am no expert, I too would be a little dubious about over half of the torpedo being forward of its mounting racks and would have to see some photographic evidence as somehow such a mounting doesn't "feel right". I would have thought the weapon would be clamped by the racks at points near to the rear of the warhead and at a similar distance ahead of the props and fins at the rear and perhaps angled slightly downwards in relation to the fuselage to aid entry into the water once released from the aircraft.

IPMS#12300
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Shaun, there are minimal IL-2 torpedo references on the net. That is why I cannot find anything conclusive on the torpedo racks. So it will have to be as instructed, in the absence of anything better.
Meanwhile, I have started improving the Phantom kit seats. Firstly, the seam down the middle of the seats has been filled.

All the straps on the middle seat have been added from Evergreen styrene strip. Just the straps over the parachute pack added to the seat on the right. When painted up, through the canopy glazing they should look quite like the resin seat on the left!

cheers,

David
Listening today: The Temptations, Traffic
iggie

Post by iggie »

nice work on the seats David; as you say, once painted they will look the business!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

There's little choice but to go with the instructions on the Sturmovik then, David. Great work improving those Phantom seats.

IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

I expect you'll have seen these on your searches but they seem to suggest you are on the right track David

Best wishes

Jim
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, Iggie, that is the very model I am building.

Anyway...I have accidentally damaged one of the Hurricane's u/c doors. Not sure if I can save it or use a set of replacements from the spares box. I will try to retain the original parts, with additional support struts. If that fails, the Matchbox Hurricane wheel set (with wheels unfortunately firmly glued to the u/c legs/doors - all unpainted!) may be the next best choice.
I am having the most frustrating time painting the Hurricane spinner with hand-brushed Humbrol Authentic HB 4 Duck-egg blue. The old paint is very thick and dries super-fast when thinned so I am on my third go trying to avoid brush marks and it is not looking good!

cheers,

David
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I am feeling a bit deflated lately, and work has slowed down. All three models were progressing well, but getting bogged down in fiddly bits. (Incidentally three models is not the most I have had on the go!)
To recover my mojo, I determined to concentrate on finishing one at a time. The IL-2 is first up.
Getting close; weathering completed:

Today I will airbrush the matt coat overall, then tackle all the glazing.

Thanks for looking,

David

Return to “Workbench Window”