cutting masks for airbrushing

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

cutting masks for airbrushing

Post by rob_van_riel »

I can typically get the shape of masks on paper well enough, either by drawing by hand or on the computer, but getting them transferred to masking tape has always been iffy. Root of this problem is that I can't cut a decent shape with a knife, and any attempts to cut masking tape with scissors tends to end in a sticky ball of curled up tape. I seem to have stumbled on a solution for this though.

First, I draw/print the pattern on fairly heavy paper, and cut them out with scissors. I then stick an area of masking tape on a plastic bag (either a single piece of tape, or several side-by-side for larger areas). I then place the paper version on the tape version, and trace around it with a soft pencil, transferring the design. The combination of bag and tape, by virtue of no longer being sticky on one side, can then again be cut with scissors along the pencil line. Once cut, the tape is peeled from the remains of the bag, and applied to the model (as a side benefit, it has now lost some of it's strength en is thus less likely to tear the underlying paint off when removed).
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: cutting mask for airbrushing

Post by splash »

That's a brilliant tip.

Thank for sharing it with us.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
chrism

Post by chrism »

try putting the tape on an old tile/piece of glass/mirror - (plain unpatterned kitchen tile) - the type of item recommended for etch ... then cut round with your sharp blade
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

chrism wrote:try putting the tape on an old tile/piece of glass/mirror - (plain unpatterned kitchen tile) - the type of item recommended for etch ... then cut round with your sharp blade
I did, and failed to get neat curves. I persisted for years, and still couldn't cut a smooth curve. I'm just useless with a knife :cry:
Fortunately, I'm pretty good at fudges like this one :-D
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

What about that new Tamiya tape that can be laid down in curves ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie

Post by iggie »

jRatz wrote:What about that new Tamiya tape that can be laid down in curves ?
I doubt even the 2mm wide Tamiya flexible tape would be able to get tight enough curves for say bomber command wavy edge schemes, certainly not in 1/72.

Craft scissors are excellent for this but it is difficult to stop the tape sticking to the scissors so the plastic bag idea will be a great help :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote:
jRatz wrote:What about that new Tamiya tape that can be laid down in curves ?
I doubt even the 2mm wide Tamiya flexible tape would be able to get tight enough curves for say bomber command wavy edge schemes, certainly not in 1/72.
It's great stuff, but sadly, it too has it's limits, and wavy, wiggly edges are beyond them, at least in my experience. Also, the chance of bleeding occurring seems to increase as you put more stress on the tape, as does the severity of any bleeds that occur; adhesion just isn't that easy in tight corners, and when it springs a leak, it also creates these lovely capilliaries..
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Yes, I must admit disappointment with those new flexible, white Tamiya tapes. They kink on minor curves and, frankly, just don't seem to stick very well either. Thanks for your suggestion, Rob.

David

Return to “Finishing Tips”