OUT NOW: FROG Penguin - plastic scale model kits 1936-1950

For reviews of any reading material with a modeling / reference theme.
petervanlune
Series 3 and Beyond

OUT NOW: FROG Penguin - plastic scale model kits 1936-1950

Post by petervanlune »

As announced earlier... OUT NOW:

I am contacting you to let you know that I have written a book about the history of FROG Penguin - plastic scale model kits 1936-1950, which is available from from my website http://www.frogpenguin.com;.

The FROG Penguin range was the world's first range of all plastic model kits - a globally spread hobby in the 1950s through 1970s and made famous by manufacturers like Airfix and Revell. Until now the only available book about FROG was "FROG Modelaircraft", written by Richard Lines and Leif Hellström, published in 1989. My book is focussed on the Penguin range however, with over 250 pages and more than 400 full color/bw images.

It took over ten years to be completed and was written with the help of family members of the founders of FROG. It has many unpublished photos and includes practical information about recognizing and restoring these delicate models. The date of publication is no coincidence: it marks the 80th birthday of plastic kit modelling...
It includes many personal accounts of modellers now in their 80s and 90s, the wartime activities of FROG, a detailed price guide and background information.

You may find additional information on my website.

It is self-published, so I am doing all the advertising and promoting myself - reason for contacting you as well...

You may expect a review of my book in the upcoming IPMS Magazine.

Kind regards,

Peter van Lune
The Netherlands
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: OUT NOW: FROG Penguin - plastic scale model kits 1936-19

Post by JamesPerrin »

Great news Peter I hope to get my hands on a copy shortly. What will the postage to the UK be?
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
petervanlune
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by petervanlune »

JamesPerrin wrote:Great news Peter I hope to get my hands on a copy shortly. What will the postage to the UK be?
Introduction price is €.30,- with €.9,31 postage/handling - Dutch Postal Services - cheapest rate. Euro that is...

Book weighs 900 grams (!)...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Good news, I took a quick look through the sample pages, and will order shortly when our Paypal is recharged.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

My copy arrived this morning in perfect condition. Ha a brief flick through and it looks great with a huge number of large clear photos. Thanks!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

My copy is winging it's way over here !
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Mine came in a few days ago, while I was away, so I just today had a chance to leaf through it. Mine also was well-pcked and arrived in perfect condition. Certainly well-produced and has a lot of info to go through. I also liked the signed copy with a nice note.

I have about 1&3/4 FROG Interceptors and this makes me want to get them out and try and make one fly-able, or at least presentable.
petervanlune
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by petervanlune »

jRatz wrote:Mine came in a few days ago, while I was away, so I just today had a chance to leaf through it. Mine also was well-pcked and arrived in perfect condition. Certainly well-produced and has a lot of info to go through. I also liked the signed copy with a nice note.

I have about 1&3/4 FROG Interceptors and this makes me want to get them out and try and make one fly-able, or at least presentable.
Hello John,
Glad it arrived safely and happy the first appearance looks good - I sure hope when you are done reading you're happy as well!
Not sure about the "1&3/4" number of Interceptors! ;-) - one can tell these were sold by the 1000s by the way these are still very regularly offered for sale (on Ebay), although these usually are the RAF-version. Others only very rarely are offered...
petervanlune
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by petervanlune »

Very happy with the review in the UK IPMS Magazine:

Return to “Publications”