Revell Wasa 1/150

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Revell Wasa 1/150

Post by chrism »

This is going to be a long journey, a very long journey. I look forward to having a few of you along for the ride, but be warned you will have aged quite a bit (but probably not as much as me) once we reach the end.

The kit was a new tooling launched in 2011, and it is a lot more accurate than the other offering on the market from Airfix.

Anyone who is into their period ship from the age of sail, probably knows what is in the box, but for anyone else who stumbles across this log at some point in time, here we are:

Everything is nice and very cleanly moulded

the gun port lids - alas these have got sink marks on the fronts, but the backs are all very nicely moulded and bear a range of different faces

all these pieces are going to take a lot of careful painting to get the range of colours correct

the decks have a nice grain on them, and the gratings while solid, will be Ok, as there is an aftermarket etch set to use

these ratlines are finer than some in plastic kits, but there are a set of etch ones available that I have to replace them with

the crows nests are all nicely represented

the stand is a sensible solid item

the instructions are going to take quite a lot of patience to follow for the detailed callouts ....

the kit comes with some paper flags to use and a name to go on the stand

lastly, the bug-bear for me, are always the vac-sails, but I shall not be using them, and will be rigging in harbour-rig as I shall depict the model full-hull on the stand
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
iggie

Re: Revell Wasa 1/150

Post by iggie »

That loOKs a well detailed and moulded kit Chris; shame about the port covers but the reverse sides sort of make it worth the filling!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I was lucky enough to visit the Vasa whilst On a trip to Stockholm and can throughly recommend it.

Here is a link to all the photos I took.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Big isn't it!!. Just to ask a possibly silly question, is it the real thing?. (cracking pics by the way). :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Yes Mark. She was raised and preserved using water in a similar way to Mary Rose was here in UK. They do also have a large scale model there which is painted to represent her at launch.
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's an impressive preservation job; it's a shame Mary Rose wasn't as complete when she was raised....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

iggie wrote:That's an impressive preservation job; it's a shame Mary Rose wasn't as complete when she was raised....
When the Mary Rose sank she rested on her side and half of her was covered in silt, the silt and lack of oxygen protected the covered wood the rest was eroded by the strong tidal sea, as for the Vasa she only got about one mile from the dock rolled over and sunk in the cold brackish non tidal water, the cold and lack of oxygen did a fantastic job of protecting the wood.

When I took the photos, the low light conditions made for challenging hand held photography and I was really surprised how bright the images came out, if I ever get the chance to go again I'm taking a tripod or monopod and wide angle lens.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

Pity Airfix didn't follow up the small scale Mary Rose with a large scale one.
chrism

Post by chrism »

You never know Muttzley, there may yet be one in the pipeline, once Airfix get back more firmly on their feet. At the moment it is a few planes and just a few planes, but if they increase their R&D....
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

splash wrote:
iggie wrote:That's an impressive preservation job; it's a shame Mary Rose wasn't as complete when she was raised....
When the Mary Rose sank she rested on her side and half of her was covered in silt, the silt and lack of oxygen protected the covered wood the rest was eroded by the strong tidal sea, as for the Vasa she only got about one mile from the dock rolled over and sunk in the cold brackish non tidal water, the cold and lack of oxygen did a fantastic job of protecting the wood.

When I took the photos, the low light conditions made for challenging hand held photography and I was really surprised how bright the images came out, if I ever get the chance to go again I'm taking a tripod or monopod and wide angle lens.
Whatever the photography problems the pics still allowed me to see something I've never seen before. Ta.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

chrism wrote:You never know Muttzley, there may yet be one in the pipeline, once Airfix get back more firmly on their feet. At the moment it is a few planes and just a few planes, but if they increase their R&D....
Can but hope, but would have been an idea to have planned one for the anniversary of the raising.
Whilst I can understand Airfix concentrating on the Aircraft side of things, (aircraft are always good sellers), it would be nice if they produced a couple of surprises in subject or scale.

I quite like aircraft myself, but there's a lot of modellers out there who don't build them....
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Wow Chris you certainly have quite a bit to chew on. I'll be tagging along on your journey. This will be a nice diversion while I'm working on my Titanic.

If it's any consolation to you I have the airfix/ heller 1/100 Victory started and have tinkered with it for years. If I have any advice it would be to take all the time you need to build her and enjoy it. These old sailing ships have a way of getting under your skin. If you feel it's starting to own you step away and build something else to break it up some. She will still be waiting for you when you decide to start back working on her.
celt

Post by celt »

I tried to build this ship,unfortunately it ended up in the bin. :sad: I will follow this with interest.
chrism

Post by chrism »

;-) I hope to be able to start and do a little soon, I have other hobbies as well as modelling; and over the next 3-4 months one of those will take priority. However, I too am not afraid of binning a model if it bites back.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Never admit defeat Chris :lol: Fight on ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”