Israeli F-82I Ayit

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Israeli F-82I Ayit

Post by DavidWomby »

Yes, it's a whatif! I hope you like it as much I enjoyed building it.

David

We all thought the first modified/reverse-engineered aircraft in the Israeli Air Force's inventory was the Mirage/Nesher/Kfir but not so. In the 1950s, Israel created the F-82I Ayit.

After the Korean War, Israel acquired 15 surplus USAF F-82G nightfighters. The F-82s served Israel well through the Fifties but accidental damage to one two days after delivery in 1953 prompted an interesting experiment. Israel had been trying to buy a high altitude reconnaissance aircraft with little success but an engineering analysis suggested the damaged aircraft could be used to create a prototype of their own.

The Israeli engineers used the undamaged port fuselage and wing from the crashed F-82G and a spare starboard wing but added a section to increase the wing span. The result looked similar to the P-51H but was much larger. To get the required performance, they managed to acquire and fit a RR Griffon engine in an extended nose. A vertical and an oblique camera were fitted in the rear fuselage.

Early flight tests of the prototype showed poor pitch characteristics, so enlarged tailplanes were added to improve control. The F-82I Ayit was born and 2 more were built by dismantling another of the F-82Gs. By the mid 1950s, it was clear that Israel would be moving quickly into an all-jet combat force and no further examples were built but the 3 F-82I Ayits provided high altitude photo-reconnaissance until 1960. This one is the second built just after delivery in 1955.

I think I prefer it without the drop tanks so they are just a press-fit at the moment.

and just to compare to a normal P-51D (the original Airfix mould!!!)

It's a Monogram/Revell F-82 with resin Merlin engine attached 2 scale feet further forward than it should be and a Griffon Spitfire prop from the old Hawk F22 kit. The wing root extensions were made by halving the center wing of the G-82 and the tailplanes were done the same way with the F-82 tailplane.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Israeli F-82I Ayit

Post by ShaunW »

An interesting and plausible looking Mustang development David with a good back story (I also prefer it without the drop tanks but realistically it would probably have required the additional fuel for long distance recce missions). Great work!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice one! There's a hint of the Spiteful about it to my eye (but it might be all the squinting of late dealing with ship photo etch!)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks, Shaun and Iggie. I can see a Spiteful and an MB5 in it myself.

David
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'll +1 Shaun's comments, since I wanted to say interesting and plausible but he got in first :)
And it's a rather good-looking aircraft ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks, John. It came out just as good as I imagined it would look.

David
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy,I agree with iggie,it has a hint of Supermarine about it.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Spiteful, MB5, 109H and Cavalier Mustang rolled into one!
It does look very plausible.

Cheers,

David
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Superbly imaginative and well engineered. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Very cool imagineering. I like the comparison with the regular P-51, really emphasizes your design's size. And I like it with the drop tanks, FWIW :)
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks, gentlemen.

David

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”