Martin B-10B ** DNF **

Aircraft designed to a primary mission/function as a bomber - any kit, scale, etc ... No whiff's, but prototype and experimental are allowed.
GB runs 17 June - 30 July and your host is iggie.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Martin B-10B ** DNF **

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

A US Army bomber for the 30's that served a bit into WW2. With it's high speed, it was the forerunner of the WW2 US bombers.

This model is the original 1974 release of the Williams Bros 1/72 kit.

Very few parts, molded in USAAC colors, much like a Matchbox kit. I thought about leaving it unpainted, much as I did with the Matchbox P-12Es that I have built for SMW, but haven't decided. It has raised panel lines, but not many and not too bad. The molding seems good, but there is flash around the cockpit openings.

The decals look good, might be iffy. I'll have to avoid cracking them while cutting out.

The instructions are old school - a single exploded view with some side details, names for parts, written color specs, etc. Love it !!

This is my low priority, got the Camel and the Shell Tanker to work, but I did clean up the cockpit openings and lay down the interior aluminum.

Still not decided if I'm going to put this on wheels on hang from the ceiling. I should not the gear can be in 3 positions - down/on-ground, down/in-flight, or retracted. A spacer is provided so the down/in-flight position hangs down properly .... Something most manufacturers with all their detail and such get wrong these days.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Martin B-10B

Post by Old_Tonto »

I love the look of the B-10. Will you do the blue\yellow scheme as in the box art?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
iggie

Post by iggie »

What a fabulous choice! Proper instructions and I like the u/c choices; as you say, a detail modern manufacturers would do well to take note of!
Looking forward to watching this progress John
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Old_Tonto wrote:I love the look of the B-10. Will you do the blue\yellow scheme as in the box art?
Yes, I could push it earlier and do OD/yellow or later and do alum, but I'm still tempted to try unpainted - we'll see how joining parts goes.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

jRatz wrote:
Old_Tonto wrote:I love the look of the B-10. Will you do the blue\yellow scheme as in the box art?
Yes, I could push it earlier and do OD/yellow or later and do alum, but I'm still tempted to try unpainted - we'll see how joining parts goes.
Of course, if you have another or the new release in your stash (The latest release has a very nice decal sheet), why not do both schemes? :P
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

'cause I don't need two, but it's handy to know the latest release has good decals, in case I get desperate.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

jRatz wrote:'cause I don't need two, but it's handy to know the latest release has good decals, in case I get desperate.

Here's a link to the decal sheet in the most recent release. Just scroll down to the image. It is a really nice sheet.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/t ... +years....

The Squadron page shows the options provided in the new release.

http://www.squadron.com/1-72-Williams-B ... b72510.htm
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

jRatz wrote:'cause I don't need two, but it's handy to know the latest release has good decals, in case I get desperate.
Since when have 'need' and modelling been compatible concepts...
:grin:
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Chuck Finley wrote: Here's a link to the decal sheet in the most recent release. Just scroll down to the image. It is a really nice sheet.
From the Squadron description, that new release isn't just more decals but re-tooled (separately molded flaps, and drop tank).
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

jRatz wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote: Here's a link to the decal sheet in the most recent release. Just scroll down to the image. It is a really nice sheet.
From the Squadron description, that new release isn't just more decals but re-tooled (separately molded flaps, and drop tank).

It's the same plastic as in the original release. I had the original in my stash and bought the newer edition for the decals. The new release very release for my entry for one of my 'Tween War' build entries. The 'drop tank' Squadron describes is the 2000lb bomb. It hasn't been retooled.

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Oh, I am not sure who writes those blurbs for Squadron, their catalog is rife with problems like that.
I'll keep it in mind as an option.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Well, answered that question -- I tried to use the IP decals and they disintegrated.
So, I've ordered a new release kit for the decal sheet. Sigh ...

Meanwhile I have glued the two cockpit floors into one fuselage side. I'll probably tape it together and test fit the glass. I can also work on the gear and wings.
philp

Post by philp »

Looks fun John. I have one of these in the stash that I plan to put in Dutch markings. I like the version with the canopy that stretches from the cockpit to the rear station but need to find the markings for it. Pretty sure I could dig up the dorito national markings the that rudder one is a pain to get the black consistant.

Don't think I will go with your drastic plan of buying another kit though.

Does anyone make resin replacement tires for this kit? Not too happy with the rubber tires.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

philp wrote:Looks fun John. I have one of these in the stash that I plan to put in Dutch markings. I like the version with the canopy that stretches from the cockpit to the rear station but need to find the markings for it. Pretty sure I could dig up the dorito national markings the that rudder one is a pain to get the black consistant.

Don't think I will go with your drastic plan of buying another kit though.

Does anyone make resin replacement tires for this kit? Not too happy with the rubber tires.
Here's a grab of a long canopy in Dutch markings, but I don't know who makes a conversion kit.
https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php? ... nt=2863101;
Google Dutch Martin B-10 for starters.

The kit has both plastic and rubber tires, I'll probably use plastic, maybe sand 'em down a bit to flatten. Unaware of any aftermarket for this kit. I do need to dig up, or fake, a couple 'tweener .30 cal MG's -- my stash is full of Vickers & Lewid..

A 2nd kit isn't all that drastic -- it has 16 markings so I'll just build a 2nd one, maybe in OD/yellow. The price was more than reasonable -- from Williams Bros, the full kit is <$30, the full decal sheet 1/2 that == $15 for the 2nd kit. Turns out 'Chuck Finley' was right :)
philp

Post by philp »

We had a guy in the Salt Lake club who built mainly Dutch aircraft and since he liked the older stuff most were conversions or scratchbuilt.
He did the B-10 using the plastic packaging for a pen to do the extended canopy.

Return to “Bombing Aircraft”