Airfix High-Tech?

Check in here for details of British Kit Manufacturers, their potted histories and products....and there's more to them than the Big Three!

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

ronbow
Active Participant

Airfix High-Tech?

Post by ronbow »

Has any one got or seen these before?

This is the only one I have seen found it in a charity shop for £3.00. Dose any one know any history on these kits, are there any others in there inventory and what happened to them?
IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
I love the smell of avgas in the morning!
"there is not a difficult task in plastic modelling; if it becomes hard, it's because the wrong way had been chosen" (Unknown)
Unless I'm making it!

"RONBOW"
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix High-Tech?

Post by iggie »

I've got one, I think it's the 1/72 mig-29
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Yes there was a handlful of these kits from the lates 80's IIRC. I remember there was also a Harrier GR7 and Tornado. I think it was a failed attempt to bring old tools upto then modern standards to compete with what was coming out of Japan.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

The 1/48 Ju 87B was another, but it appeared in the Heller range. It had a nice set of unspatted metal landing gear.
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Airfix issued the following kits in the Hi-Tech series:
17001 Ferrari 250GTO
17002 Triumph TR2
17003 Austin Healy Sprite
from 1991-2
22001 Jaguar XK-E in 1992
10005 Harrier GR7
10006 Tornado
10007 Fulcrum
10008 Spitfire Vb
10009 F-15A/B Eagle
from 1992-4
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
ronbow
Active Participant

Post by ronbow »

I haven't started it yet or opened the bags , but it looks like there is quite a bit of flash on the mouldings and the brass etched parts are just that brass! The white metal parts need cleaning up a bit too, but it should build up in to a nice model. I have ordered some cockpit details from Eduard.
"there is not a difficult task in plastic modelling; if it becomes hard, it's because the wrong way had been chosen" (Unknown)
Unless I'm making it!

"RONBOW"
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Ratch wrote:Airfix issued the following kits in the Hi-Tech series:
17001 Ferrari 250GTO
17002 Triumph TR2
17003 Austin Healy Sprite
from 1991-2
22001 Jaguar XK-E in 1992
10005 Harrier GR7
10006 Tornado
10007 Fulcrum
10008 Spitfire Vb
10009 F-15A/B Eagle
from 1992-4
I wonder what the source of the "Hi-Tech" bits was for the aircraft? The four cars are all Gunze Sangyo kits which could already be had in a version with white metal, etch etc in their original issues, so no problem there. Sadly, although Airfix released the Jag in the version with a full engine, they didn't with the 250GTO, despite the fact that there is a Gunze box that has everything in it.

I don't know if Airfix commissioned the metal parts for the aircraft, or "bulk purchased" existing Airwaves and/or Aeroclub parts and put them in the box... anyone?

best,
M.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Unfortunately, Ward's book on Airfix has no mention of the Hi-Tech range.

In addition, to the kits listed above, Airfix issued a 1/72 Hi-Tech RAF/NATO Weapons kit in 1992, and Heller released an equivalent France/US/OTAN (NATO) set, presumably at the same time. Each contains a number of sprues of bombs and missiles with decals and a PE set for enhanced detail. I have both sets, as yet unused. The mouldings are little crude by modern standards, but usable, especially on older kits.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
ronbow
Active Participant

Post by ronbow »

I am surprized that Airfix did not continue these and develop them more. Was that due to cost or bad sales?
Unless I'm making it!

"RONBOW"
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

mattbacon wrote:
I wonder what the source of the "Hi-Tech" bits was for the aircraft? The four cars are all Gunze Sangyo kits which could already be had in a version with white metal, etch etc in their original issues, so no problem there. Sadly, although Airfix released the Jag in the version with a full engine, they didn't with the 250GTO, despite the fact that there is a Gunze box that has everything in it.

I don't know if Airfix commissioned the metal parts for the aircraft, or "bulk purchased" existing Airwaves and/or Aeroclub parts and put them in the box... anyone?

best,
M.
The photoetch definitely looked like it was done by Airwaves. But it was not a pre-existing set and I don’t think they have been released separately since.
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

They did a NATO weapons pack too http://www.oldmodelkits.com/jpegs/Airfi ... aponse.JPG;

I've always been confused by photo etch and it actually puts me off buying a kit rather than appealing to me. Especially in the case of armament, seems a little overkill. Pardon the pun.
Colin at Freightdog
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Colin at Freightdog »

The metal parts for the aircraft kits were made by Dave Buttress (ex-DB conversions) at CMA Moldform in Birmingham. I remember him mentioning when we spoke about my Blue Max pewter parts which they still cast for me.

I had a Heller Rafael prototype in 1/48 along the same lines, the metal parts were well very well cast, but mostly the same as the plastic parts with no additional detail.

I suspect the metal in the car kits came from Gunze Sangyo as they were originally produced like that.

Colin
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

PaulBradley wrote:In addition, to the kits listed above, Airfix issued a 1/72 Hi-Tech RAF/NATO Weapons kit in 1992
Hi Paul, I missed that one because I didn't have it listed as Hi-Tech on my list :oops:
It was listed (incorrectly) as 04041 in the '92 catalogue, but issued as 05041 from '92-'94 ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

No worries, Ratch - that's what we're here for! Between us, we can help record modeling history.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Manufacturers: Frog, Airfix, Matchbox and many, many more!”