"Something Old" Chuck's Canberra B6 in 1/72 *Finished*

Aircraft designed to a primary mission/function as a bomber - any kit, scale, etc ... No whiff's, but prototype and experimental are allowed.
GB runs 17 June - 30 July and your host is iggie.
Chuck Finley
Modelling Gent and Scholar

"Something Old" Chuck's Canberra B6 in 1/72 *Finished*

Post by Chuck Finley »

My first build, Airfix Handley Page Victor" was something new. Now, for something old, the 1/72 scale Airfix BAC Canberra B(I)6, from 1983. I plan on building it straight from the box with decals by Freightdog Models for a Canberra B.6, from 101 Squadron, RAF on detachment to Butterworth, Malaya for 'Operation Mileage', against the MRLA, February 1955.

This will be my first build after giving Photobucket the heave ho. :)
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
iggie

Re: "Something Old" Chuck's Canberra B6 in 1/72

Post by iggie »

Nice choice Chuck, and a good contrast in lots of ways to your first build
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

iggie wrote:Nice choice Chuck, and a good contrast in lots of ways to your first build

Plus I heard that Airfix changed the mold to make a B-57B so there will be no more Canberras with the goldfish bowl canopy unless they do a new mold. I just opened the kit for the first time this Saturday. It's been waiting a long time to be built.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Chuck Finley wrote:
iggie wrote:Nice choice Chuck, and a good contrast in lots of ways to your first build

Plus I heard that Airfix changed the mold to make a B-57B so there will be no more Canberras with the goldfish bowl canopy unless they do a new mold. I just opened the kit for the first time this Saturday. It's been waiting a long time to be built.
Indeed Airfix did alter the moulds to make the "fighter canopy" Martin B-57 and the change is irreversible so this classic kit cannot be re-released in this guise. It's great to see one of these arguably more collectable B(1)6 kits being built - top choice, Chuck!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

The nose!, the nose!... :shock:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Colin at Freightdog
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Colin at Freightdog »

One of my favourite kits, and my decal sheet to! Good luck with the build Chuck.

Colin
iggie

Post by iggie »

Colin at Freightdog wrote:One of my favourite kits, and my decal sheet to! Good luck with the build Chuck.

Colin
No pressure then Chuck :ha:

:-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Colin at Freightdog wrote:One of my favourite kits, and my decal sheet to! Good luck with the build Chuck.

Colin

Thanks. Now I am trying to decide which Al-Clad color best matched 'High Speed Aluminum". I am thinking of using the white aluminum. What do you think?
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

ShaunW wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:

Indeed Airfix did alter the moulds to make the "fighter canopy" Martin B-57 and the change is irreversible so this classic kit cannot be re-released in this guise. It's great to see one of these arguably more collectable B(1)6 kits being built - top choice, Chuck!
To be fair to Airfix, they probably realized that the B(I).6 kit is not particularly accurate. The nose is particularly off and it would have taken a new fuselage mold to correct it. If you can find a spare clear nose from the B(I).8 kit, it can be grafted onto the old Airfix kit and improves the look immensely.
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
iggie

Post by iggie »

Hey up, Chuck (best said in a scouse accent :-D :-D ); any progress to report yet?
Best wishes

Jim
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

After a late start to the build, I have finished the cockpit. I decided on giving the crew blue flightsuits after seeing some color pictures of Vulcan crews from this same period. Based on my previous experience with the kit, I added a hefty amount of lead shot in an effort to get it sitting on the nose gear. It was not enough. :(

Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

iggie wrote:Hey up, Chuck (best said in a scouse accent :-D :-D ); any progress to report yet?

I got a little sidelined last week with my other modelling interest: 1/76th and 1/72 scale armor. I ended up building a Zvezda BMPT 'Terminator' in 1/72 along with a A41 Centurion, Centurion Mk.5 and a Charioteer, all by Millicast. :P
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Finished the initial build a couple hours ago. I ended up adding a lot more lead shot in the nose well to keep it from being a tail sitter. Good thing there is NO wheel well detail on this kit so it doesn't matter if there is lead shot there.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Great stuff! I think someone once said you can never have too much lead...... or it may have been Spitfires :grin:

Any chance of seeing the Terminator? I have one in the stash to build one day :)
Best wishes

Jim
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

I just finished covering the aircraft in a gloss black undercoat. Tomorrow, the aluminum will be painted. I am using Alclad's "White Aluminum" to represent the "High Speed Silver". It looks close enough to the pictures I have.

Return to “Bombing Aircraft”