Re: Revell Re1/96 Thermopylae

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Hi all here is one i started a while ago it was gifted to me by another modeler who thought i could do a better job of it than himself, i was gobsmacked as its a rare kit. I have had a few accidents with it (i was begining to think it was jinxed like my titanic build) anyway the last breakage was i broke the whisker from the catshead, well fixed part so back on it again and here is where it's up to.

The copper on the hull was done with copper leaf then weathered. The wood of the deck was done with pastels.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Re: Revell Re1/96 Thermopylae

Post by iggie »

Nice! The opportunities for breaking bits off while building with something like that must be huge!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Looking good!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Hi all here's the next update got the anchor chains the anchors and populated the ship with sailors.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice. The figures add a good sense of scale, and sailing ships always look impressive.

Nigel
kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Hi all on the last leg now.
iggie

Post by iggie »

that is going to be a fine looking build for certain!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Well I'm livid I was hoping to finish this tonight (so close and now so far) I picked it up to turn it round to do the rigging on the left side of the second mizzen sail and it slipped from my fingers, if I'd let it fall it would probably landed on the floor on it's stand with no damage instead clumsy me tried to save it I broke the bowsprit (again) it took Supreme control not to hurl it at the wall I've managed to create a heath Robinson collection of weights and threads to pull it all together and get all the rigging true (the dolphin striker will be a bit twisted though) I'm hoping when all set it will still all be true and I won't have to strip all the rigging off and start again. I really am cross, I mean really cross, I came so close to finishing her grrr.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

kpnuts wrote:Well I'm livid I was hoping to finish this tonight (so close and now so far) I picked it up to turn it round to do the rigging on the left side of the second mizzen sail and it slipped from my fingers, if I'd let it fall it would probably landed on the floor on it's stand with no damage instead clumsy me tried to save it I broke the bowsprit (again) it took Supreme control not to hurl it at the wall I've managed to create a heath Robinson collection of weights and threads to pull it all together and get all the rigging true (the dolphin striker will be a bit twisted though) I'm hoping when all set it will still all be true and I won't have to strip all the rigging off and start again. I really am cross, I mean really cross, I came so close to finishing her grrr.
Damn!! :evil: . I did the same thing with a Beaufighter Mk.II conversion I've been doing for the last few weeks. Went for a first flight. Expected all of my converted bits to come off but got away with it. Hope this keeps going, looks great so far.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

MarkyM607 wrote:
kpnuts wrote:Well I'm livid I was hoping to finish this tonight (so close and now so far) I picked it up to turn it round to do the rigging on the left side of the second mizzen sail and it slipped from my fingers, if I'd let it fall it would probably landed on the floor on it's stand with no damage instead clumsy me tried to save it I broke the bowsprit (again) it took Supreme control not to hurl it at the wall I've managed to create a heath Robinson collection of weights and threads to pull it all together and get all the rigging true (the dolphin striker will be a bit twisted though) I'm hoping when all set it will still all be true and I won't have to strip all the rigging off and start again. I really am cross, I mean really cross, I came so close to finishing her grrr.
Damn!! :evil: . I did the same thing with a Beaufighter Mk.II conversion I've been doing for the last few weeks. Went for a first flight. Expected all of my converted bits to come off but got away with it. Hope this keeps going, looks great so far.
Been there. Done that. Got the T shirt.
We've all done it. Sympathy to you. Let us know how you rescue the situation.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Hi all well it's finally finished.
Just one question, I know which one goes on the main mast from the box art but where do these other flags go.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: WOW, that looks stunning, good work. I'm not sure about all of the flags but the red one I think should go at the back end. The name might be at the top of the main mast. The four small ones are signal flags I think but they usually go on lines up to the masts.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Superb work. Great alignment on everything.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie

Post by iggie »

Fantastic, stunning work indeed!
Best wishes

Jim
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

That is some spectacular work right there!
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”