Honda CRF1000L Africa twin

Time to pimp them rides!
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Honda CRF1000L Africa twin

Post by syd-baines »

i got this kit just as i started the zx14 kawasaki and have been itching to get started on it, now the kwak is finished i can make a start, it is 1/6 scale so it is a big model, the box is huge and inside is a huge amount of parts, Tamiya has provided a 4 page booklet just showing the parts, there is 16 sprues as well as a plethora of screws, bolts and springs they also provide a spanner and an allen key, i dont usualy do a parts count but a quick count it has something like 263 parts not counting the screws, bolts and springs so i dont think this will be a quick build, i have also bought a chain set for it which adds to the parts count, the bike comes in two colour schemes a white and a red i have not yet decided which colour scheme to go for yet, i will be having a good look at the parts and instructions tomorrow and hopefully make a start on saturday

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Honda CRF1000L Africa twin

Post by ShaunW »

Now that is a proper big trail bike, Syd. Not a Honda model I'm familiar with, although I do seem to remember they did a 750 v-twin traily some years ago - was that the Trans Alp? Anyway, I digress. This looks to be a great kit and I look forward to seeing your build 8-)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Should keep you busy for a while Syd :) I'm sure you'll do the kit justice.

Nigel
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys Honda did do a bike which they called trans alp i can`t remember what size engine it was i could well have been a 750cc, i have l have had a look at the parts and they look very well and crisply moulded with very little clean up to do, the instruction manual has 30 pages to it so quite a bit of work ahead of me, i have made a start and built some of the engine and the frame just a bit of wet and dry sanding then it will be ready for the primer, i have took a couple of pics one of the frame with the kawasaki in front of it and of one of the tyres with a 1:12th
scale tyre inside just for size comparison

syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i have built and painted the engine and the frame, the parts fit is very good, the engine is built in 6 stages, i have also put the engine in the frame you have to be careful at this stage as you have to put the engine in the frame at an angle then twist the engine when it is in the frame so you have to be careful you don`t scratch either the engine or the frame, i knocked the top off one of the spark plugs but a bit of super glue should sort that out, this is how far i have got at the moment

the engine in the frame there is front and rear engine mounts to go on yet

syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

done some more to the Honda got the engine mounts on they went on with small screws, got the rear shock done and put on, it is a working shock, the rear mudguard assembly is done and in the frame, i am building the wheels at the moment the rims come in two halves as do the hubs, the hubs have the spokes on they are very fragile and they have a piece of plastic that has to be cut off and sanded so a lot of care needed the join line round the rim will have to be filled in with filler then sanded again i will have to be careful as i do not want to fill in the holes for the spokes, i have bought a chain set for this model so i will be attempting to put that together in the next couple of days, hopefully it will not be as fiddly as the chain kits for the 1:12 scale as it is double the size

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent work, Syd, you really do great things with these bike kits. What a biggie this one is as well, the frame totally dwarfs your recent Kawasaki build - makes for less fiddly parts though!

IPMS#12300
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Coming along nicely.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys it is not as fiddly as the 1:12 scale but still fiddly for its size i have got the swing arm and the rear wheel done the wheels come in 4 parts you glue the two halves of the rim together then the two halves of the hub complete with the spokes then put it on a jig and spoke the rims, i did put a couple of photo etch cable guides on the swing arm to keep the brake cable from getting into the wheel, i have also made up a chain limk by link which was not to fiddly the swing arm is now fitted to the frame the rear suspension works and the chain goes round with the wheel

although the chain in the kit is the best i have seen the after market one is slightly better

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great stuff, Syd. IMHO in this scale the model really does look like the full-size, it is very realistic indeed.

IPMS#12300
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Most realistic. Great work.

Nigel
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Shaun and Nigel i have done some more to the honda built the exhaust up and put on also the front forks, there is springs to put in so they work just like the 1/1 bike

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Really nice, Syd, this is a top bit of bike modelling. It's going to look great when finished I'm sure!

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Shaun i have built the front wheel and put that on i have also done the instrument panel and got that on just the brake calipers to build and put on then the front end is done, the calipers have got brake pads to put in which makes it a bit more real looking, i have made a mess of the tank i painted it in white then used the masking sheet that came with the kit ready to pain the blue panel on top of the tank but when i pulled the masking off the white paint came off with it in places i probably didn`t leave enough time for the paint to fully harden so more work to rectify it so a couple of days or so work on the tank

syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

repainted the tank that is now finished and put on, the rear seat carrier is made up and on as well as the rear side panels, building the handlebars up at moment there is about 20 parts to it the brake and clutch levers work so carefull assembly is required, then it is on with the little fidly bits and bobs like foot rests

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”