Dollar's PBY Catalina

Pre-1980 boxings of any kit, but preferably hard to obtain -- something that would make a collector cringe to see built.
GB runs 1 Sep to 1 Oct and your host is Gregers.
dollar19
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dollar's PBY Catalina

Post by dollar19 »

Thanks. No new pics, slowly working out the tail surfaces problem. Got some dry wall compound setting up right now. I hope to start shaping them tomorrow.
dollar19

Re: Dollar's PBY Catalina WITHDRAWN

Post by dollar19 »

Fellas it is with much regret that I'm going to pull out of the Group build. While I was able to make a stab at the missing tailplane pieces, I now have found out that there is also a prop missing. How I missed this is beyond me.

I've fought some kits to the edge of my sanity before, but I just don't have it in me for this one.It's sitting on the counter next to the trash can waiting its trip to the sidewalk for pick up. I even thought of finishing it for my grand son to plat with but its hardly worth the effort.

Maybe I'll sign up for a later GB. But for now this one is over for me.

Heres some pics to leave you with.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

You could use a prop blur to replace the missing prop.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Looks like a poisoned build from start to finish, Dollar. I don't blame you for quitting, some kits just don't want to be built.

I will say though that there is an extra level in hell for people who sell stuff on ebay they know to be knackered or incomplete.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

splash wrote:You could use a prop blur to replace the missing prop.
I did give that some thought, but my level of disgust with the kit at this point is pretty high. It hasn't hit the trash can yet so maybe I'll give it another go.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Don't pitch it out. You've made good progress on this and that isn't really a suitable place for yet more plastic in the landfill. I think between a few of us here that we could donate the missing bits. I know for a fact that I have a spare prop that should work. Until then just stuff it all into a box and lay it away for later.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Please don't dump it after all your efforts. This has happened to me before and finally geting a recalcitrant kit finished is its own sweet victory. I may have a pair of B17 props that will suffice. I will have a look for them next time I am in the loft.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

I´m sure there will be a replacement prop to be found.
If things like this happen to me, I´d ask around in my club, some of them have big spare boxes with left-over parts.
The left-over props I have don´t have the right diameter for a Catalina, they´re from single-engine fighters :sad: .
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Thanks for all the encouraging words. I did go out and retrieve it from the trash can. Hopefully I can find some props for it. Now to add to the ever growing saga, I can't find the decal sheet. No I didn't throw it away.... I had it set aside so it wouldn't get jumbled up in the debris of my bench. Now it's nowhere to be found. That I can scrap together from spares, but you want to talk about jinxed builds!
gnomemeansgnome

Atta boy! You show that Cat who the boss is. And talk about jinxed builds; I finally finished that Stranraer, so I totally understand how frustrating a stubborn build can be. Anyhoo, I hope you find those decals, at least in time for them to go on :-D
Ego no habeo consilium.

dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Ok with some kindness shown me that I don't deserve, a pair of props have been offered and accepted.Much gratitude and thanks to Greg!!!
So thrilled with this news, I gave the wing a coat of gloss black paint and started masking off the fuselage windows for maybe a coat on it as well. I'll keep plugging along in the meantime and hopefully finish by the deadline. So I guess in back in. Renewed vigor now!
gnomemeansgnome

Excellent! Keep at it, man!
Ego no habeo consilium.

VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

This is a great turnaround! Props (ha!) to you for getting back into it despite the frustration. I hope it rewards your efforts.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Not much of an update. Late reprise of this build. After my fit of pique, I jumped back in the fray and she now wears a glossy black paint scheme. I went with the gloss for two reasons 1, it will save me time later on not waiting for a gloss coat to dry, 2 it's what I had on hand.

I'm going to hand paint the engine fronts tonight I hope. They are molded in the cowlings so that should be fun.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

This really is going to be more than a bit special. Great comeback Greg.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Rare & Golden Oldies”