Has the Airfix Model World magazine lost its way?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Has the Airfix Model World magazine lost its way?

Post by ShaunW »

jamesaw wrote:Have to agree on the AM. Seems to me in a lot of cases it's used because it exists, not necessarily because it's better. Unless I'm building a classic kit, I'm quite happy to use what's provided. While I certainly appreciate the effort and results obtained by "going to town", I would much rather see what can be done with "as supplied" since this gives me a much better idea of what to expect.

Cheers,

Howard
Agreed. When I read what purports to be a kit review I want it to be just that. A review of what the manufacturer provides in the box. I want to see a review of what my £20 or whatever buys me not what can be done to the kit by spending the same again or more on AM parts and/or alternative markings :evil:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I think that's the key - a kit review should be of the kit -- good points and bad -- then I can make up my mind to buy or not, to use A/M or not, etc. I don't even want to hear about the painting/weathering techniques and all that - they also should be in finishing articles where more time can be spent illustrating the technique. As it stands, we get a bit of kit review, a bit of aftermarket, a bit of finishing -- some of everything, not enough of anything to help a modeler improve their own work.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Perhaps we could use part of the forum as an online quarterly magazine, with the best recent builds and reviews copied from the body of the forum with the comments taken out.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

If I wasn't stuck in a pre-paid contract... I would have cancelled. It is unlikely to be something I renew.

I too would like to see some simpler and more beginner or Joe-average type builds. There never seems to be anything done "simply" or with brush painters in mind. While I have admiration and respect for the work and accomplishments of the many who build for them, but all they are doing is keeping on upping their game... and while we also should be aiming that way, there needs to be some help for encouraging everyone at all levels, as well as the starter outers and brush painters
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

For me it came down to cost. The prices of magazines just kept increasing. For the price of one magazine I could buy a series 1 Airfix kit. This forum gives me all the help and advice I need. Got a problem? Ask here and I'll have more answers than could be found in a magazine. Plus the internets free :grin: Well not 100% free, but I don't have to stick my hand in my pocket every time I jump online :-D

Nigel
Maple 01
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Maple 01 »

I miss the old SAM style of a long reference article on a topic with colour line drawings - the JASDF issue for example, with brightly coloured F-104s etc inspired my interest in an area I didn't even know existed. Now all we seem to get is 'buy this huge expensive wonderjet and throw-away half the contents' 'weather the living daylights out of this' or 'get the latest airbrush/washes/tape/powder' - it's about aviation history, relaxation and fun, not conspicuous consumption
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I subscribe to SAMI and Fine Scale. AMW I buy over the counter. For all the above reasons. Recently picked up the special on the Mossie which is quite nice. I really like great photos of nicely finished models.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Maple 01 wrote:I miss the old SAM style of a long reference article on a topic with colour line drawings - the JASDF issue for example, with brightly coloured F-104s etc inspired my interest in an area I didn't even know existed. Now all we seem to get is 'buy this huge expensive wonderjet and throw-away half the contents' 'weather the living daylights out of this' or 'get the latest airbrush/washes/tape/powder' - it's about aviation history, relaxation and fun, not conspicuous consumption
Testify! That's all I've got out of any of the modelling mags in a long time. It would be nice to have a bit more history, a few more colour profiles and some articles pitched at the beginner or improver. However, I suppose it's what sells.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

jRatz wrote:I think that's the key - a kit review should be of the kit -- good points and bad -- then I can make up my mind to buy or not, to use A/M or not, etc. I don't even want to hear about the painting/weathering techniques and all that - they also should be in finishing articles where more time can be spent illustrating the technique. As it stands, we get a bit of kit review, a bit of aftermarket, a bit of finishing -- some of everything, not enough of anything to help a modeler improve their own work.
Well said :razz:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

chrism wrote:I too would like to see some simpler and more beginner or Joe-average type builds. There never seems to be anything done "simply" or with brush painters in mind. While I have admiration and respect for the work and accomplishments of the many who build for them, but all they are doing is keeping on upping their game... and while we also should be aiming that way, there needs to be some help for encouraging everyone at all levels, as well as the starter outers and brush painters
Quite right Chris :)
chrism wrote:If I wasn't stuck in a pre-paid contract... I would have cancelled. It is unlikely to be something I renew.
I subscribed from issue #1. After two years I was in two minds, but gave it another chance - I wish I hadn't - it went down hill rapidly IMHO :frown: I didn't renew a second time :roll:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
vacant

Post by vacant »

When was the last time you read an article about restoring old models in a modelling magazine? Perhaps publishers consider it not worth doing because it's so simple to do, but then what could be easier than to build a new kit by slotting parts together and painting it?

Is it that nobody does it or that it would not generate any interest? Many of us do restore models and from reactions on this and other web sites, as much interest can be generated as for the release of another all singing and dancing megabuck Spitfire.

Ok, so restoring old models does not help sell new kits, but that rationale omits consideration of the paint, materials needed to make replacement parts, replacement decals etc., not to mention the range of modelling techniques that are needed. Perhaps modellers who write articles simply do not send in any articles about restorations, though that would not stop a publisher commissioning one.

Why don't I do it? I have contacted a modelling magazine on two occasions in response to a request they made on a particular topic, but was never graced by even an acknowledgement. Perhaps they did not like my style of writing or grasp of written English. So if someone does do it, it won't be me. It's just a thought.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

lancfan wrote:Perhaps we could use part of the forum as an online quarterly magazine, with the best recent builds and reviews copied from the body of the forum with the comments taken out.
David.
I like this idear!

AMW is also brilliant at pointing out faults with kits. Example the canopy frame on the Airfix Jet Provest T.3. In other words criticism adds spice to our hobby. Bought occasionally.

Return to “Small Talk”