Figure GB *** Complete and Archived ***

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Figure GB (on 2018 calendar)

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Here's one in the USA: Michigan Toy Soldier with a large catalog.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Figure GB *** on 2018 draft calendar ***

Post by iggie »

Subject to approval by Rob, this will be my entry for this GB. Six figures in total, plus two horses :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote:Subject to approval by Rob, this will be my entry for this GB. Six figures in total, plus two horses :-D
So, eight figures in total (never said they had to be human figures :-D )
Seriously, looks like a great choice. I have the same set in my stash, and the sculpting look lovely. Like so many MB sets, it's an almost complete vignette right out of the box.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:I have the same set in my stash, and the sculpting look lovely.
Predictably, I couldn't resist pulling it out for a peek and a fondle. As it turns out, you've actually got two bonus figures in there, an Eastern European peasant and his daughter, which are on the same sprue as the horses. You might actually be able to find a place for them too.

The kit doesn't include anything to make straps from. You could get away with omitting the rifle slings, but there's no escape from the reins of that team of horses.

The usual recommendation (from the kit manufactures) is to cut straps from very thin plastic sheet, but I've sound this a pretty miserable way of doing it. My first attemp at a fix was to use insulation tape, folded over on itself to build a little bulk and get rid of the sticky side. Either of these will give basic straps, but they'll tend to form wide, smooth curves between their attachment points. Not very desirable.

The more traditional method is to cut the straps from thin lead sheets. As lead is soft enough to bend with nearly no effort, yet strong enough to keep it's shape after bending, this is probable the best method, but you'll have to 'animate' the straps yourself. It can also be tricky to find. In a pinch, you could probably roll some roofing lead to the required thinness; starting out with a small, preferably long and narrow, strip, an hour of vigourous rolling with a straight walled bottle will produce a decent sheet.

For the reins, I'd actually recommend the simpler trick I used on this chap: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=342&t=13488&start=61; .
Cut straps from some wrapping paper for (take-away) food, use a felt tip marker to blacken them, and attach to the bits and the hands of the driver. Then soak with water, causing the paper to loose all stiffness. A bit of prodding to get them in the right position, assisted by gravity, and then you wait for them to dry out, after which they'll hold their soaked positions forever.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Cheers for all that Rob; I'll try rolling lead wire for the reins and traces, hopefully that'll give me formability and depth!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote:I'll try rolling lead wire for the reins and traces, hopefully that'll give me formability and depth!
That should work. Not knowing how thick the wire you'll be starting with is, I'll note that since lead is so soft, you could roll two threads together and have them merge into a single strip. You probably won't need to, but still..
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Last set of reins I did, I used 1/32 Lin-O-Tape (pin striping masking tape) painted leather on both sides.

And that IS a nifty vignette-in-a-box; I may be doing a Master Box one also, but I should go back and look at their whole line.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Tamiya 1/20 Motorsport Team Set acquired, I'm ready to go
....and looking at the contents I have (another) cunning plan! :-D

....or two........wait! .....three!
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Purplethistle wrote:Tamiya 1/20 Motorsport Team Set acquired, I'm ready to go
....and looking at the contents I have (another) cunning plan! :-D

....or two........wait! .....three!
That's OK, you have two months to make up your mind. Or buy more sets and do them all :-D
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

There are nine figures in the set! Five for my initial project, one for the brainwave I had when looking closely at the parts and another for the tangent that my brainwave then went off on. :) I wish I had investigated this set for converting to Rock Icons before now, it looks ideal. Perhaps another couple of sets WILL be required.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
iggie

Post by iggie »

If you buy enough sets you could recreate the ukulele orchestra of Great Britain; that's pretty rock and roll :-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

iggie wrote:Cheers for all that Rob; I'll try rolling lead wire for the reins and traces, hopefully that'll give me formability and depth!

I like using the soft foil from wine bottles.....the main advantage is that you get to empty the bottles first :grin:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Dazzled wrote:
iggie wrote:Cheers for all that Rob; I'll try rolling lead wire for the reins and traces, hopefully that'll give me formability and depth!

I like using the soft foil from wine bottles.....the main advantage is that you get to empty the bottles first :grin:
I like your style Sir! :-D
Best wishes

Jim
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote:
Dazzled wrote:I like using the soft foil from wine bottles.....the main advantage is that you get to empty the bottles first :grin:
I like your style Sir! :-D
Select your bottle with care though; the health and safety gang is pushing hard for plastic instead of metal, especially the soft and heavy types.
Of course, if you end up with the wrong kind of cap, you have some liquid consolation on hand :-D

All of that assuming you like wine of course. Being a fussy eater, I have been know to do the rounds looking for someone to eat/drink whatever they decided to pollute some otherwise perfectly usable packaging with :roll:
rob_van_riel

Re: Figure GB?

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:A few nice knights (among all sorts of other stuff) here in resin, mainly in 75mm.
http://tin-soldiers.org/model-kit/resin-kit/;

Don't know how dependable the shop is, my only order with them was fired off two days ago, so it's too early to tell.
The figures arrived today, and I still don't know what to think of them. On the one hand, none of the figures are in anything resembling original packaging, just a bunch of parts in ziplocks, which seems fishy a best, on the other hand, all the bits are there, shipping and packaging beyond the ziplocks was perfectly adequate, and the prices are very tempting. My first though was "bootleg copies", but if so, they're good ones, and for some kits, they're the only option, or the only option remaining.

Make of it what you will.. :???:

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”