Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Michael's Modellers Mucking About

Post by ShaunW »

The camo on the Hawk is looking good, Michael. In fact your build of the type finally inspired me to go and buy the Airfix 1/48th RAF Tomahawk (I've been thinking about getting one of the 1/48th new tool P-40 variants for a while). No doubt I will finish mine with the shark mouth option too, albeit the RAF's version :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Here is a youtube video of a 1/72 Airfix P40E Kittyhawk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQH9EegzrcI[/youtube]

I like his light brown on dark brown

Thanks so much, I hope you enjoy visiting your local model shop and the build of your new addition to your stash!

This was the only box art I could find:

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I'm sure I will enjoy it Michael, the kit looks to be very nice indeed. The pic you have found is for the old Airfix Kittyhawk. The Kittyhawk is, I believe, a different variant of the P-40 to the Tomahawk. But I'm no expert on the various Hawks! :grin:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Hawk, it is looking very good.

IPMS#12300
Michael modeller 48

Is the video of a kittyhawk?

Yes it is an older tooling and 1:72 too that is all I could find.

Thanks again, however I add to my to much clear a wing and it blistered!
Michael modeller 48

I add too much Tamiya semi gloss to this part of the wing: The paint blistered....
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

your picture is very blurry, so its difficult to see what is going on.

Are the paints beneath the clear acrylics or enamels?

If enamels, then you may try removing the blistered clear (if it is in fact the clear that has blistered) with rubbing alcohol.
Michael modeller 48

The photo is as clear as i could get it. Trying to show a close up of the Humbrol enamel paint blistering. It is paint that has blistered (which looks

blurry in this photo).

There are two coat of brown and one of green and coat of Taimya semi-gloss coat. At this one spot of the wing was large amount of gloss and it

cause the paint to blistering in this spot.

So if i understand your answer, rubbing alcohol will remove the gloss BUT not the enamels or will it remove the paint as well??
The Great Auk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by The Great Auk »

I think you're going to have to strip it all the way back to bare plastic, Michael. It doesn't look like the Tamiya paint reacted well over the Humbrol. As a rule of thumb, I don't usually apply different brands of paint on top of each other.

You could either sand it all off or try removing it with oven cleaner or a bath in brake fluid.

Best of luck!

The Great Auk
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh dear, that's not good Michael. As a rule of thumb and to be on the safe side, never apply acrylic clear coats or paints over enamel. Sometimes it's possible to be lucky but it's more likely a reaction will occur as it has here (guess how I found that out :roll: a lot of us have been there). I also think you will have to strip it back and repaint.

IPMS#12300
Michael modeller 48

The Great Auk do mean the word "clear" over “paint”

I have used Tamiya semi gloss (I thought was neither acrilyic or enamel) over my humbrol enamels wiith Great results.

The problem was I apply too much in a pool on this side of wing. It was not a thin coat. And did let the paint cured 24 hours!

Will rubbing alcohol remove the paint?

Which brand of clear should I use Testors?
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

No, rubbing alcohol will remove the clear, but not the paint.

IF you want to remove the paint, you'll need what the others mentioned.

Tamiya clear is a fine product and works well over any paint, you just need to make sure that your Humbroll ENAMELS are cured before you apply Tamiya ACRYLICS over them. Curing usually takes a few days.
TobyC
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TobyC »

If it's not already been mentioned but putting the kit into a sealable plastic bag and spraying oven cleaner into and leaving overnight usually gets all paint off
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Michael modeller 48

Yes I forgot and I was rushing the curing time before add the clear!! My bad haha...

I have had to NO problem with my Tamiya gloss and matt over my humbrol enamels. I know the curing time is 24 to 48 hours

I was rushing and impatient. A thick pool and not enough curing time was my downfall. Live and learn....

Thanks I will pick up some oven cleaner. So it does not damage the plastic? I guess not!
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

If all you got to fix is the one wing, just get some thinner on the rough surface of a dish sponge (brillo pad type thing) and scrub it off. Why strip the whole model?
Michael modeller 48

I apply thinner to this area of the wing it when to the bottom. I stripped both, I repainted the whole underside and left top wing. I will need to clean up the lines from the underside to topside.

I need to wait til 10:30 tommorow before adding another coat of brown and or green. I did not like how I painted the Green camo anyhow!! Haha

Return to “Workbench Window”