kit swap tellford

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
spitfire
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

kit swap tellford

Post by spitfire »

‎Lionel Jennings‎ to IPMS (UK) - 'The Workbench'
1 hr · Grimsby ·
Well I now have an absolutely distraught eight year old thanks to two unscrupulous individuals who put kits into the kit swap. Jesse had saved up to buy his own kits this year. When we got home last night and checked them one has been 30% started which wasn’t stated on the label and the second had a number of broken parts and others removed from sprues which again wasn’t stated on the label.
This is not the kitswap staffs fault at all, my wife is one of the team members for the whole weekend.
If people are going to do this to make a quick buck think again. I’m now trawling various sites so I can get the relevant bits or a replacement kit for him.
At the end of the day £30 is a lot of money to an eight year old and he’d looked for these specific models he wanted to build.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: kit swap tellford

Post by ShaunW »

Alas, this happens and it is the same with some second hand kit dealers and unfortunately here the victim is a youngster which makes it all the more galling. The golden rule is always check the contents of the model box before parting with your cash. According to a notice I saw at this year's event, the IPMS kit swap did allow box inspections, under the supervision of one of the "yellow jerseys" running the swap.

In my view you should have posted this in the Small Talk area, Spitfire. This part of the forum is for group build/shared build discussions only.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
spitfire
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by spitfire »

ShaunW wrote:Alas, this happens and it is the same with some second hand kit dealers and unfortunately here the victim is a youngster which makes it all the more galling. The golden rule is always check the contents of the model box before parting with your cash. According to a notice I saw at this year's event, the IPMS kit swap did allow box inspections, under the supervision of one of the "yellow jerseys" running the swap.

In my view you should have posted this in the Small Talk area, Spitfire. This part of the forum is for group build/shared build discussions only.
ok sorry still geting used to site
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Fair enough, Spitfire. One of the mods will probably move this in due course.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

(moved)

I would contact IPMS (I forget who is in charge of KitSwap, Alfie Bass?) Though it may be too late to do anything, this can look up who it was who sold the kits.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

This is being discussed ad nauseam on Facebook (I know, I've added my own tuppence worth!).

May I ask Spitfire why he has posted it without adding any comment of his own?
What was the purpose or intent of the post?
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

beany wrote:This is being discussed ad nauseam on Facebook (I know, I've added my own tuppence worth!).

I have to admit that I was a touch puzzled by the post too; is it known that the IPMS bigwigs read this forum?
Irrespective of where or how second hand kits are being sold, if I've got one in my hands that I'm considering buying, then I'm opening it for a look-see. If the seller doesn't like that, then no sale....different obviously on eBay, but at least with them you have some protection if the kit turns out to be duff.

If Spitfire would care to spill the beans on what kits they were, I'll have a look in the stash and see if I can let them go for postage costs
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

iggie wrote:If Spitfire would care to spill the beans on what kits they were, I'll have a look in the stash and see if I can let them go for postage costs
Generous offer iggie but that's exactly the kind of thing already being discussed on the official IPMS Facebook page hence my annoyance of it seemingly being "photobombed" into this forum without a bye your leave.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
iggie

Post by iggie »

beany wrote:
iggie wrote:If Spitfire would care to spill the beans on what kits they were, I'll have a look in the stash and see if I can let them go for postage costs
Generous offer iggie but that's exactly the kind of thing already being discussed on the official IPMS Facebook page hence my annoyance of it seemingly being "photobombed" into this forum without a bye your leave.
Ah.... not doing face whatsit I want aware of that.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

I very much doubt that the person behind the forum handle here, that originated this problem getting trawled into this forum is the same family as started the thread about the problem over on facebook.

Personally, I think this ought to be locked down or delete out please ADMIN The family in question have good links in to Alfie Bass, and he has also said over on facebook that the matter will be investigated and the EC will consider changes etc for the future.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

beany wrote:This is being discussed ad nauseam on Facebook (I know, I've added my own tuppence worth!).

Thanks for drawing this to my attention Al. I had misread and thought this was something that had happened to Spitfire.

@Spitfire Discussing posts on other forums is against the rules of this forum.

This thread is now locked.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Small Talk”